!911 .45 Bullsey Wancutter

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ser2711

!911 .45 Bullsey Wancutter

Post by ser2711 »

For target competition with Ultra Dot Four Scope...Do you suggest Frame Mount or Slide Mount.?
GunRunner

Re: !911 .45 Bullsey Wancutter

Post by GunRunner »

its a toss up, you can shoot lighter loads with a frame mount, but dot sits higher above the bore on most, and they are harder to break down for cleaning. a slide mount puts the dot lower to the bore and it will absorb some of the recoil, and they are easier to clean, slide mounts are way more popular and in use at matches.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

ser2711 wrote:For target competition with Ultra Dot Four Scope...Do you suggest Frame Mount or Slide Mount.?

Gun runner brings up a lot of good points. With the older grip mounts, and the early high frame mounts, a slide mounted dot was a no brainier.

Now your choices aren't so clear. A slide mounted dot works great on a 45 wad gun, but won't work well on a 9mm without an extremely hot load.

Some gunsmiths don't like to do slide mounted guns because they believe that it puts too much weight on the slide, and hastens wear and tear on your very accurate was gun, causing it to lose competition accuracy faster.

Shooters are a very conservative bunch. Once you get used to the feel of one system, it is very hard to change.
ser2711

Post by ser2711 »

Thank all for the useful information, sorry one more question about the scope..on the slide mount the shock can damage the scope more than if is it mount on the frame?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

ser2711 wrote:Thank all for the useful information, sorry one more question about the scope..on the slide mount the shock can damage the scope more than if is it mount on the frame?

There is that possibility yes. This is why most bullseye shooters shoot with either an Aimpoint or an Ultradot. Both have a good warranty and can take the pounding. You can get away with a cheaper scope on a frame mount or any 22 or Centerfire gun where the scope isn't riding the slide.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

never had a ultradot fail on a slide mount but of course it will get less abuse on a stationary frame mount, the best and expensive frame mount is offered by KC kustom guns, his puts dot low on the bore.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

GunRunner wrote:never had a ultradot fail on a slide mount but of course it will get less abuse on a stationary frame mount, the best and expensive frame mount is offered by KC kustom guns, his puts dot low on the bore.

David Sams, and Jerry Keefer do the same. Mount is the same distance above the bore as with a slide mounted dot. Lower than on some slide mounts I have seen.
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

ser2711 wrote:For target competition with Ultra Dot Four Scope...Do you suggest Frame Mount or Slide Mount.?
http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3809-aimpoint-which-model
Rather than fight my way thru photo bucket, I'll link you to a few pictures on the Bullseye forum. I have more if needed. If the Micro Aimpoint is used, it will mount lower than anything, due to the absence of mounting rings. I am a frame mount advocate. Tune the gun, and ammo, without the influence of, and compensation for the weight of the optics on the slide. The slide mount is more popular. It is quick, easy, and cheaper, and there area few more reasons for its following..:)
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Jerry, I am completely in sympathy with the frame mount system. My NRA guns have had the original Weigand mounts on them for twenty years or so. I find your single sided mount intriguing and would like to know if you have one that can be fitted to a Hammerli P240 .38special? I see the spacer mounted between the mount and the pistol frame, and suspect that only a specific spacer/base would be necessary. Anything available?

Cheers Dr Jim
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Dr. Jim wrote:Jerry, I am completely in sympathy with the frame mount system. My NRA guns have had the original Weigand mounts on them for twenty years or so. I find your single sided mount intriguing and would like to know if you have one that can be fitted to a Hammerli P240 .38special? I see the spacer mounted between the mount and the pistol frame, and suspect that only a specific spacer/base would be necessary. Anything available?

Cheers Dr Jim
That spacer is steel, bolted and silver soldered in place. I am not at all familiar with the P240.. Is the frame steel.? The system is the one used by David Sams. I copied his and adjusted the dimensions to suit the firearm. The system can be custom fit to almost anything.. The bottom gun is a S&W52. Minor changes in height, etc. are usually required. I worked out the base for the Aimpoint Micro to fit Dave's system.. He is now making and offering these Micro units for sale. If your P240 has a steel frame, I imagine it can be done.. Dave's contact is www.samscustomgunworksusa.com
Good luck

Jerry
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Sig-Hammerli P240 frame is definitely steel. Thanks for the URL but I have the horrid feeling that the U.S. State Department will prevent any access to his products, but maybe a working diagram can make it over the border!

Cheers Jim