factory ammo for the S&W 52-2

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

siordian1

factory ammo for the S&W 52-2

Post by siordian1 »

Hello all,

I have found a S&W 52-2 pistol I am considering purchasing. I do not re-load yet so I would be using factory ammunition. Any experience you have had with a particular brand is appreciated. Thank you.
C. Perkins

Re: factory ammo for the S&W 52-2

Post by C. Perkins »

George;

I would stick with the big three of Remington, Federal and Winchester.
I do not have any personal experience with Fiocchi but have heard that it does not have the power to cycle the slide.
You really need to start reloading :)
I bought a case of Remington when I got my first M52 and have been using that brass for reloading ever since.
Still have a hundred once fired from the 5 hundred round case.
So have been reloading the other 4 hundred for a long time now.
The brass does not wear out with these loads.

Clarence
beeser

Post by beeser »

C. Perkins wrote:George;

I would stick with the big three of Remington, Federal and Winchester.
I do not have any personal experience with Fiocchi but have heard that it does not have the power to cycle the slide.
You really need to start reloading :)
I bought a case of Remington when I got my first M52 and have been using that brass for reloading ever since.
Still have a hundred once fired from the 5 hundred round case.
So have been reloading the other 4 hundred for a long time now.
The brass does not wear out with these loads.

Clarence
The 3 boxes of Fiocchi that I purchased did not have the power to cycle the slide on my 52.
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

I just picked up a 52-2 in fair shape and have been running Roze 148 GR WCHB R608 through it with no hiccups, though I haven't had a chance to try it at 50 yards. Fun pistol, but I need to get a front weight.

http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... e=ZBA-38SP
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

May I suggest Don Weber at DJ Precision for the M-52 barrel weight?

http://www.djprecision.com/Home

Great guy to deal with.

Kirmdog
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Thanks Kirmdog, but you're about 24 hours after I printed his order form and mailed a check. ;) I had seen a few pictures of 52s with weights in the past, and after I tried mine for the first time and it rolled up I saw why they existed.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachmentA friend machined this mount for a red dot, for his model 52. Quite possible to mount one.
Attachments
image.jpg
Sa-tevo

Post by Sa-tevo »

Kirmdog wrote:May I suggest Don Weber at DJ Precision for the M-52 barrel weight?

Great guy to deal with.

Kirmdog
Weight received quickly from DJ Precision. A very nice product and a tight fit. It should do the trick.

My next task is to get the trigger weight up to spec. A friends Lyman scale pulled it at 1.75 pounds, not quite the 2.5 pounds for Center Fire Pistol under NRA rules. Any suggestions? A weak mainspring, perhaps?
Kirmdog

Post by Kirmdog »

Sa-tevo wrote:
Kirmdog wrote:May I suggest Don Weber at DJ Precision for the M-52 barrel weight?

Great guy to deal with.

Kirmdog
Weight received quickly from DJ Precision. A very nice product and a tight fit. It should do the trick.

My next task is to get the trigger weight up to spec. A friends Lyman scale pulled it at 1.75 pounds, not quite the 2.5 pounds for Center Fire Pistol under NRA rules. Any suggestions? A weak mainspring, perhaps?

I have had luck by replacing the drawbar plunger spring with one from a m-39/m-59 or any of the other variants of those models. It's #9 on the Brownells schematic shown here.

http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Smi ... id463.aspx

A trick that I did with my barrel weight. I put a piece of nylon/derlon about 3/16" in size in between the screw that holds down the barrel weight to the frame and the frame. This way when I cranked down the screw to hold on the barrel weight I did not mare the finish on my gun. I have done this as did a friend that has the barrel weight and they have not moved in over 2 years worth of shooting with the weight on.

Kirmdog