GSP Expert Firing Pin Failure

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

craigp

Post by craigp »

Hello everyone,

It has been a month or so since I have had my GSP Expert in 22lr from Earl's. About a week ago I started having problems with misfires and failure to go into battery. Upon inspection I noticed that the firing pin was broke in half. Called Earl and he is going to replace it for me. He said it was from dryfiring. I explained to him that I don't dryfire, but occasionally (happened maybe 3 times in 2,000 rounds), during timed fire, I lose count of my string and the gun goes click on the 6th round. I guess that is all it takes to break the firing pin. I know I am not the only one who occasionally has the gun go click with these euro guns that don't lock back on empty. Can you guys recommend any solutions for using some type of dummy round to prevent the accidental slamming during timed fire? From my understanding, there isn't really a snap cap for rimfire. It would have to be something that would chamber but take the blow of the firing pin. These pins are designed to be the weak link and break before any damage is done to the breach face, which I guess is a good design. Just need a solution for people like myself who occasionally mind fart during their string and go click. I also wouldn't mind something that would somewhat hold back on the bolt on the 6th round. I am going to run this by Earl to see what he says.

Thanks Everyone,

Craig
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

I only broke one firing pin in a Walther and that was fron an early batch, the replacement was somewhat redesigned and has run steadily for twenty odd years. Since the Walthers will fire out of battery, an easy dry-fire trick is to use a short piece of wire-tie strip across the upper breech face, as gunk builds up it will stick to the face and give you a cushion on repeated strikes. In any case the European firing pins are not generally that fragile.

Dr Jim
canthit

GSP Expert

Post by canthit »

I have the GSP expert and when I dry fire it I use plastic dry wall anchors. I also during practice and in a match fire the extra shot, and do it quite often. In over 2 years firing pin is fine. The only thing I thought about doing was going to higher capacity mags and putting a dry wall anchor in first ( it will cycle just like a live round) to prevent the dry fire. I beleive the anchors I use is #4 yellow colored. It will not work in a 5 round mag, fits but mag pin comes out a things come apart.

canthit
craigp

Post by craigp »

Thanks for the responses. Dr. Jim, would that piece of wire tie, prevent the bolt from going into battery during regular use?

I am unfortunately stuck with the 5 round magazines also. I am hoping I got a fluke firing pin. It really stinks to doubt your equipment after having it for 2 months. The firing pin kit is costing me $40 also. You would think that this should be covered under some sort or warranty, but I guess it is considered a wear and tear item like tires? Still after 2 months I don't think it should be failing.

I know a couple of people I shoot with that have the same gun and have never had any issues.

Is the pin hard to swap out? I am wondering if it is worth keeping a spare on hand for next time. For now Earl is going to replace this one for the cost of the kit.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

I also have a GSP, in two years now, I broke one firing pin.
I like using the orange dry fire caps with flag that Larrys sells.
They come 10 to a pack for $10.00.
If dry firing at a range, it shows there is no bullet in the chamber,
And can be used as a safety flag.
I suggest carrying an extra fire pin from now on.
It is very delicate with that oval cut and spring in it.
craigp

Post by craigp »

trooperjake,

How hard is it to change? I see a couple of pins that seem to hold it together. I'll keep in mind those caps you speak of. My problem seems to be the occasional accidental dry fire, when I try to shoot 6 rounds in a timed fire string, not thinking, so the snap caps can't save me there.

Craig
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Craig
I too dry fire a 6th shot on a rapid string, now and then.
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, it's just one pin.
The gunsmith at Champions Choice walked me thru it.
I remember it being very simple.
I think, breaking a pin, although not rare, doesn't happen all that much.
I must have a case of ammo on this last pin.
All in all I love my GSP, and would not change to another gun.
I do practice with a Marvel 1911, to get the practice.
Good luck with yours.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Craig the piece of plastic wire tie that I use is about 1/8 inch wide and two inches long, the material seems to run 50- 60 thou in thickness. Since I am a very irregular cleaner there is always a bit of grease-gunk on the breech this holds the tie enough that I ca cycle the slide and it stays in place. Once removed the pistol is back to normal with no aftereffects.

Cheers. Dr Jim
mr alexander

Post by mr alexander »

craigp,

Lyman makes very tough and durable .22 dummy rounds that I feel are

superior to all of the other brands out there. Try this at your next practice

session at the range. Load a single live round directly into the chamber,

close the bolt and then insert a magazine with 5 rounds into the pistol.

Make sure that this mag has 4 live rounds loaded on top of the fifth

"round" that is really a dummy in the bottom of the magazine. Fire your

5 live cartridges and let the bolt chamber that last dummy. If you dry

fire then, your firing pin will come to rest on the plastic part, thus

cushioning the pin's blow and keeping it from breaking. I do not own

a GSP Expert so I can not say for sure if this remedy would work with

your Walther or not.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Craig, What you did, should not have caused a broken firing pin. The most likely cause is poor metal, and or possibly a small design defect.

I fired thousands of rounds and dry fires through two Hammerlis, and never broke a firing pin, Thousands of rounds through an AW-93 and never broke a firing pin.

Broke two firing pins on two different Marvel units, about a year apart. Both of them had less than 2000 rounds through each unit and not a lot of dry firing.

I would replace it,and stop worrying about it. Now that you know the symptoms, you will catch it quick.

Meanwhile if it makes you nervous, bring a back up gun to a match. Shooting bullseye, it is always gonna be something that happens. Dot goes out, scope comes lose, rain on the lens, Poor crimp on the ammo. Cold gun, cold ammo causing stovepipes.
You cant anticipate or prevent everything that can happen. Your best bet is having a plan to deal with it, in a way that will allow you to finish the match.
craigp

Post by craigp »

Thanks for the advice. Earl changed out the firing pin for me. We'll see what happens. As a precaution I ordered a couple of 8 round mags. I will start loading a dummy round in first, so I don't run the risk anymore.