Using FMJ and lead in same match

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

zetor

Using FMJ and lead in same match

Post by zetor »

Are there any problems I can expect from using both lead and fmj bullets in the same match?
I'm new to this. I don't think my barrel leads if that matters.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Probably not. A lot of shooters I know shoot jacketed for the long line and lead for the short line. I am thinking of going to that solution for my 9mm since the jacketed bullets are so expensive, and lead will not group at 50 yards in a 9mm.
Jim Henderson told me he was shooting lead at the short line in the center fire match on Saturday. Brad, the AMU gunsmith was unconcerned.
The only downsides that I know of is that jacketed rounds will wear the barrel a little faster, and you should clean after shooting lead before you start with jacketed again because the jacketed bullets drive the lead into the sides of the barrel and can make cleaning difficult.

And of course, changing bullets between the long line and the short line, may change your sight adjustments numbers.
Misny

Post by Misny »

A lot of shooters do this and I used to do it when I was competing regularly. I didn't clean the gun between the centerfire and .45 matches and often, I would shoot the first slow fire of the .45 match with a mid to high 90 (95-97). I was using a gun with a Kart barrel. Of course your gun may respond differently.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I was told when doing this to run a brush down the barrel to clean out some of the materials left in the barrel from the jacket before you shoot lead. This will prevent or reduce potential leading. The jacketed bullets rough of the barrel and then the lead will fill up the micro voids.

To avoid this I have been using the Zero 185gr-LSWCHP. Great groups and lead all the way.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Chris wrote:I was told when doing this to run a brush down the barrel to clean out some of the materials left in the barrel from the jacket before you shoot lead. This will prevent or reduce potential leading. The jacketed bullets rough of the barrel and then the lead will fill up the micro voids.

To avoid this I have been using the Zero 185gr-LSWCHP. Great groups and lead all the way.
Chris, I also use those Zero bullets at the long line. I use the cheaper 160 g Valiants at the short line.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I've fired jacketed bullets to clean out leaded bores, but I've never badly leaded a .45 bore.

You would need a good cleaning to get rid of copper fouling before firing lead bullets. This is pretty unlikely to do at a match.

I just wouldn't worry about it.