Barrels for lead vs jacketed

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

motorcycle_dan

Barrels for lead vs jacketed

Post by motorcycle_dan »

I've finally found the motivation to finish a couple of project pistols. One I expect to use LSWC projectiles, the other I plan on building a back up ball gun. Primary projectile with be 230 FMJ
since I'll be buying barrels for both of them, does one manufacturer of barrels prefer lead or jackets over another?
Thoughts or comments appreciated.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Kart is the industry standard for lead, Barsto is the same for jacketed. However Kart shoots jacketed very good most times too.
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

Dan,
As well as you shot last weekend I think we need to limit you to Kimber takeoff barrels! Seriously, Kart is the preferred supplier for both bullet types.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I had a pistolsmith tell that the Colt barrels were excellent, to many of his customers surprise.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Rover wrote:I had a pistolsmith tell that the Colt barrels were excellent, to many of his customers surprise.
A Colt series 70 national match barrel is a fine barrel every bit as good as any aftermarket brand.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I have been very happy with my Kart barrels. Also happy with my 9mm KKM barrels. In the KKM I use jacketed ammo only.

The only issue I am concerned about is wear. I have been told that barrels shooting lead can be good for 100k rounds, but if you shoot jacketed, maybe 20-30k before they may need to be re-barreled.
Kinks

Post by Kinks »

I know I should contact Les Baer for this question but while we are the topic...I have recently purchased a Les Baer CMP Legal, Hardball Service Pistol. My question is this....should I NOT shoot lead in this pistol? Is there something special in the way the pistol was designed that lead would harm this pistol?? Thanks....
Rover

Post by Rover »

In a word; no. Or, if you prefer; absolutely not.

A hardball gun is designed to shoot full power jacketed military type ammo. Lighter lead target loads used in Bullseye shooting may not operate flawlessly in your pistol, but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are lead. If anything, jacketed bullets will wear out the barrel faster than lead.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Kinks wrote:I know I should contact Les Baer for this question but while we are the topic...I have recently purchased a Les Baer CMP Legal, Hardball Service Pistol. My question is this....should I NOT shoot lead in this pistol? Is there something special in the way the pistol was designed that lead would harm this pistol?? Thanks....
No, you can shoot lead in your les baer, it has a throated barrel and will feed lead wadcutters just fine, but its set up for hardball so to shoot light lead loads you will need to replace the rec oil spring with a 11 pound one for it to cycle the lighter loads.