Remington R1 for Bullseye

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Yiogo

Remington R1 for Bullseye

Post by Yiogo »

I was planning to use my R1 for Bullseye. I was planning to use it stock. I may put on adjustable sights (dovetailed) Or I may put on a scope mount for a red dot. That Clark mount looks like a possible solution with a red dot scope. I'm planning to shoot 230 gr ball and don't figure to start reloading. Primers, etc are hard to bet anyway. Advice appreciated. Yiogo
Misny

Post by Misny »

If I were you and knowing what I know now, I'd pay a few bucks more and get the Springfield Armory Range Officer. I'd just shoot iron sights right now, especially since you are going to use "hardball" factory ammo.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Your R1 is unsuitable for your purposes without a complete rebuild.

Sell it to a "survivalist"; you'll get top dollar right now. Then look for a used wad gun from local guys.

I'm assuming you're serious about shooting, but you're OK with what you have if you just want to be a "spray and pray" kinda guy.

You MUST reload if you're going to be a target shooter. It's just too expensive otherwise.
6string

Post by 6string »

I think your efforts to use the Remington will be frustrating.
I looked at the Remington R1 as a possible build platform but rejected it upon closer evaluation. The big problem is the Series 80 style trigger block. This "belt and suspenders" approach to trigger design all but precludes the classic crisp Bullseye trigger job we all know and love in a custom wad gun. Yes, you can get the little frame filler parts from Brownell's that lets you install standard 1911 trigger parts. But, it's certainly illegal for Hardball Distinguished matches.
One other thing, and it's purely subjective, the frame is obviously a casting. The materials, machine and finish work just doesn't seem up to snuff.
On the other hand, you've already got it. Rover might just have the best advice: sell it. They're popular and you should get close to what you've got in it, especially these days where people are buying and hoarding everything firearms related.

You should give a look at Gil Hebard's book "Pistol Shooter's Treasury". There's some very good advice on the false economy and headaches of trying to learn pistol shooting while saving a few bucks on a gun that's not up to the job.

Hang in there!
Best Regards,
Jim
Yiogo

R1

Post by Yiogo »

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate it. Yiogo