Advice needed....Nill Grip, to modify or to buy different?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

guncats

Advice needed....Nill Grip, to modify or to buy different?

Post by guncats »

Hello guys, newbie here seeking advice....

I recently bought a used AW93. Nice pistol, with one problem.... the Nill grip on it is a "small" and it is slightly too tight for me. According to the Nill web site, the "small" size fits up to 85mm hand width. my hand width is around 92mm so a "medium" would be the right size .

The grip is the finger-grooved adjustable type. Since the size is not off by too much, my dilemma right now is whether to modify (no cost, but not sure of the out-come) or to buy ($$). If I modify, I supposed I can reduce the palm shelf a little to get more room, but I am not sure whether the finger-grooved area also has to be modified. Or, would I be better off just (try to) sell the "small" and order a "medium" ?
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

Well it depends how tight. If you can get your hand in, then I would cut it myself. If you do not think there is enough meat on the grip to cut and fit your hand in then I would not.
Trooperjake

Post by Trooperjake »

Maybe what you want to do is offer a trade on this site, small for a medium.
Just saying.
shooter560

Post by shooter560 »

What you'll find is that the size does as you know relate to the width across the knuckles but you will also find some change in the grip volume. A small grip in a large hand will feel like you are strangling it/carrying a plastic bag whereas a grip that fits properly is just that, feels comfortable, sits in the relaxed hand.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I would contact Brenzovich and see if you can trade. He may have one lying around.

http://www.brenzovich.com/
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Also, detach the palm shelf and see if it is comfortable in all other ways, without the palm shelf squeezing your hand. If it is, then you can probably get away with shaving the palm shelf. If not, you probably need to trade for a bigger grip.
guncats

Post by guncats »

Thanks guys.

So I took the palm shelf off and it still felt kind of weird, the area around the base of the thumb is now the pressure spot. I suppose I can relief the top a little and gain more room, but who knows where the next "un-comfy" spot is gonna be. The grip volume might be the next issue.

The reason I didn't think of trading was..... this is a lefty grip so the likelyhood of a left-hand small to left-hand medium trade is probably pretty slim.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

guncats wrote:Thanks guys.

So I took the palm shelf off and it still felt kind of weird, the area around the base of the thumb is now the pressure spot. I suppose I can relief the top a little and gain more room, but who knows where the next "un-comfy" spot is gonna be. The grip volume might be the next issue.

The reason I didn't think of trading was..... this is a lefty grip so the likelyhood of a left-hand small to left-hand medium trade is probably pretty slim.

You might be surprised. Also, pressure is not necessarily a bad thing. I feel like the thumb web area on an AW grip is tighter than the area on a 208, also with a Nill grip. I would notice it when I switched guns, but would get used to it, and stop thinking about it anymore. What I am saying is a medium Nill for an AW may also feel this way. Talk to Brenzovich. He may offer you a simple solution.