leg match ammo

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MajD

leg match ammo

Post by MajD »

I am an old shooter,made master in 1970, who has been out of the game for 30 years. Now fully retired I have dusted off the old match guns and started practicing again. Today I got a copy of the current NRA pistol rule book. Looking at the rules for Distinguished Pistol Badge(page 61) I seen the ammo requirement is "any safe ammunition".
Back in the old days leg match ammo was hardball issued by the match. So am I correct in believing I could shoot a leg match with an iron sight service gun shooting wadcutter ammo that I reloaded?
Last edited by MajD on Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

MajD;

Welcome back.

(4) Ammunition requirements for service pistol in Excellence-in-Competition (Leg Matches) are as follows:
(a) Pistol competitors with the .45 Caliber pistol may use any safe ammunition with a 230 grain, full
metal jacket, round nosed bullet. (See Rule 4-16b CMP Rules and Regulations.)
(b) Pistol competitors with the 9mm pistol may use any safe ammunition with a 115 through 125 grain,
full metal jacket, round nosed bullet. (See Rule 4-16c CMP Rules and Regulations)

Hope this helps.

Clarence
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The one thing that supplying your own ammo has done for the LEG match is that people can load down for the short line if they wish. I have a friend who shoots a 1911 hardball gun, and I believe he loads 4.6 of WST for the long line and 4.2 for the short line.
MajD

Post by MajD »

Thank you. As a Grand Senior the thought of full power hardball is not something I was looking forward to.
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

Also now days you can shoot the beretta 92 9mm but for 45 any 230 fmj bullet and any powder is fine, 4.7 bullseye is a good accurate load.
MajD

Post by MajD »

Thanks. The 92 has always felt too big in my small hand so I will stick with the 45. Your load should produce 750 fps according to my Hornady manual. That is a good step down from full house hardball.
redial

Post by redial »

Welcome back sir!

For the short line, it's nice to be able to shoot the more pleasant ammo but in my Ballgun, 50 yard loads have to have some mojo to 'em to shoot well.

Things have changed quite a bit over the last few years. I Legged with a .30 caliber rifle shooting Lake City issued on the line - that doesn't happen anymore!

Cheers

Mark
Double D
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

4.8 gr bullseye and a sierra or zero 230 fmj, is a great load