Problem with Model 41 rear sight

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cgroppi

Problem with Model 41 rear sight

Post by cgroppi »

I have a S&W Model 41, and am having problems with the rear iron sight on the 5.5 inch barrel. I use this barrel to shoot international standard pistol, and use a Clark barrel with a dot for bullseye.

The sight has a dead spot in the middle of the elevation adjustment where the sight does not move. If I keep screwing the adjuster either in or out, the sight eventually starts to move again. There are between 5 and 10 clicks right in the middle of the travel where the sight just stops, or if anything moves the wrong direction.

When the sight is at this point, I can push on it and it will move against the spring, so it doesn't seem to be bound up. Any ideas on what could be wrong and how I might fix it, apart from buying a new sight?
KC's Kustom

Rear Sight

Post by KC's Kustom »

If you can push down in the sight at that point I'm going to guess that your elevation screw is partially stripped at that point in the threads. Pull the elevation screw out, be VERY careful not to loose the detent and spring for the elevation clicks. Check out the threads on the screw, if they are good look at the elevation nut under the sight. It should slide out the rear of the sight when you take out the elevation screw.
TOMBECK

S&W 41 5.5" rear site

Post by TOMBECK »

Suggest you flush with croil or other good penetrating fluid and work screw up and down to see if it frees up.