Looking for Suggestions

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

TomJ

Looking for Suggestions

Post by TomJ »

I am returning to NRA bulls-eye shooting after a long layoff and am looking for suggestions regarding the purchase of a target pistol. My previous gun was an S&W Model 41 with Ultradot. Although another Model 41 would be totally acceptable, I am wondering how the new Houston High Standards compare to a new 41. I've been shooting an IZH 46 in my basement over the winter. Are there any European pistols that I should consider, e.g., Benelli, Walther, etc. Accuracy being equal, I would like a gun that is reliable and that replacement parts and service are readily available. I'd like to stay in the $1,000 - $1,200 range. I look forward to your comments. Thanks
Tom
Rob

Post by Rob »

You might want to consider the used Trailside in the "for sale" section. It sounds like its all sorted out. If it functions fine with inexpensive standard velocity ammo...all the better.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go with what you know; S&W41.

I haven't heard much good about the new High Standards. A lot of the Pardini shooters I know seem to like them.
trulyapostolic

Post by trulyapostolic »

Or buy an older High Standard and mount a dot to it.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I would pass on the Houston Hi Standards. Many of the older Hi Standards are good, but getting someone who is good at working on them might be a problem. There are plenty of options within your price range. The model 41 S&W is a good option and so are a variety of others already mentioned, like the new Walthers or Xesse. Don't count out the Marvel Precision .22 conversion units.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I am a big fan of the Marvel Precision. The big issue for me has been the magazines. The Metalform ones dont work very well and I have heard without a lot of tuning the poly ones can also be problematic. The new GSG ones tend to work the best especially if you can get in the habit of pulling back the slide and releasing it rather than just popping the slide release which can cause the first round to pop up out of the gun. For competition we all want something trustworthy which is probably why you still see so many Hammerlis on the line.
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

Isabel1130 wrote:I am a big fan of the Marvel Precision. The big issue for me has been the magazines. The Metalform ones dont work very well and I have heard without a lot of tuning the poly ones can also be problematic. The new GSG ones tend to work the best especially if you can get in the habit of pulling back the slide and releasing it rather than just popping the slide release which can cause the first round to pop up out of the gun. For competition we all want something trustworthy which is probably why you still see so many Hammerlis on the line.
I am also a Marvel fan. I have never had any problem with the Metalform magazines. I assume that's what I have. They are steel and marked Colt on the bottom. I also have a poly one that I bought to use up a gift certificate and it seems fine too. The only issue I had was when my recoil spring got weak and caused all kinds of problems. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Marvel setup and I am sure you could do it for the budget you mentioned.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I haven't had any issues with the Metalform magazines in my Marvel Precision Unit 1 since I adjusted the feed lips to the proper dimensions. I used needle-nose pliers. My Marvel Precision is mounted on a stock Springfield Armory "Loaded" frame. I understand that some other frames, especially those that have been accurized, can cause problems.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

There are a lot of good proven bullseye pistols out there with smiths that can work on them and aftermarket parts. However, I bought a used Pardini SP for $1,000 and never looked back. Best of all it shoots Aguila Rifle Match 10 shots in 3/8" at 50 yards, at $335 a case its hard to beat. If I had it all to do over again, I would spend my money once and buy a Pardini, and then go shoot.