Scope mounting for the Hammerli 208s. ???

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Does anyone have a proper method of setting up a scope mount for the Hammerli 208s, and sources for these? I have a UltraDot four, 30mm red dot scope.
Thanks...
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

There are three basic ways to mount a scope to a Hammerli. The best and possibly the most common is to use a Hammerli/Knapp mount no longer produced but a good copy is sold by Larry's guns.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/Scop ... Mount.aspx

The advantage of this mount is that it adds a lot of weight to the front of the gun. Most people like this as a Hammerli without the weight and mount on the front of it is a very light gun. The system slides off the gun easily and allows you to switch back and forth between irons and a scope easily and quickly without taking off the rear or front irons.

The second way is the BME mount. This a a very light weight system and it requires the removal of the front and rear iron sights.
http://www.bme-mounts.com/ham208r.html

The third thing you can do, is have a very skilled gunsmith cut grooves in the top of the barrel that will allow the direct attachment of weaver rings holding the scope of your choice. I know that Roddy Toyota can do this. There are probably a few others as well.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Isabel1130 wrote:There are three basic ways to mount a scope to a Hammerli. The best and possibly the most common is to use a Hammerli/Knapp mount no longer produced but a good copy is sold by Larry's guns.

The advantage of this mount is that it adds a lot of weight to the front of the gun. Most people like this as a Hammerli without the weight and mount on the front of it is a very light gun. The system slides off the gun easily and allows you to switch back and forth between irons and a scope easily and quickly without taking off the rear or front irons.

The second way is the BME mount. This a a very light weight system and it requires the removal of the front and rear iron sights.

The third thing you can do, is have a very skilled gunsmith cut grooves in the top of the barrel that will allow the direct attachment of weaver rings holding the scope of your choice. I know that Roddy Toyota can do this. There are probably a few others as well.
Thank you sir.. I am starting to like this place, great answer's. I believe I will give Deanne a shout at Larrys.. I was not sure if they had the right mounts.
Thumbs up...
EagleEyes

Re: Scope mounting for the Hammerli 208s. ???

Post by EagleEyes »

EagleEyes wrote:
Isabel1130 wrote:There are three basic ways to mount a scope to a Hammerli. The best and possibly the most common is to use a Hammerli/Knapp mount no longer produced but a good copy is sold by Larry's guns.

Thank you sir.. I am starting to like this place, great answer's. I believe I will give Deanne a shout at Larrys.. I was not sure if they had the right mounts.
Thumbs up...
Update...
I was confused.. as what I have here is the genuine Hammerli scope mount, and the mystery continues. I had a dramatic change in the UltraDot red dot during a league firing a few weeks ago. I/we readjusted the scope to the X bullseye, and it may or may not have solved the problem so far.
I don't believe I need to replace the original Hammerli scope mount but this note to Katie at UltraDot may be of interest.
----------------------------------------
Hello Katie... another high tech question for you..
I understand from git go, that your UltraDots are mounted on a large number of guns, rifles, pistols as well as automatic military weapons. My interest here is the installation of the UltraDot 4 30mm on the Hammerli 208s .22lr handgun. Normally I would not be confused on mounts, but the Hammerli mount is mounted above the barrel assembly in a quasi free float platform, fastened from underneath the front barrel assembly with a wedge and 3 allen set screws. These are loosened to remove the top assembly from the barrel for maintenance. Also, and here is where the mystery begins. On the top of this Hammerli scope mount, there is another set screw between the rails, that allow the flat rail to be adjusted. I do not know what scope was ever used prior to my owning the gun the last few weeks.. I have to assume that this screw is there to adapt the rails to other scope types, other than the UltraDot due to the age of this 208s Hammerli.
Does your tech department have any information, or knowledge of a source where I can find such information?? I now feel this is the reason for the scope to go banana’s on me a week or so ago.
Perhaps we all can learn a trick or two here.. thanks Katie..
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"I was confused.. as what I have here is the genuine Hammerli scope mount, and the mystery continues. I had a dramatic change in the UltraDot red dot during a league firing a few weeks ago. I/we readjusted the scope to the X bullseye, and it may or may not have solved the problem so far.
I don't believe I need to replace the original Hammerli scope mount but this note to Katie at UltraDot may be of interest."

I need a bit more information in order to be of any help. How did you zero the scope initially? Did you sandbag it or do it offhand like you have to shoot?

Was your league at the same distance and the same lighting conditions as your zeroing?

Did you make sure the rings were tight on the mount and around the scope?

If you have the original Hammerli Mount and weight you can remove it by doing nothing more than loosening the large allen screw holding the Hammerli weight to the gun. The mount and the weight will come off as a unit.

When you say. go bananas, what does that mean? How many clicks did you have to move it to get re-zeroed?

If it stays zeroed now, isn't it easier to assume that you didn't tighten it enough the first time and everything is okey dokey now, rather than there is something wrong with either the mount or the scope?
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Isabel1130 wrote:"I was confused.. as what I have here is the genuine Hammerli scope mount, and the mystery continues. I had a dramatic change in the UltraDot red dot during a league firing a few weeks ago. I/we readjusted the scope to the X bullseye, and it may or may not have solved the problem so far.
I don't believe I need to replace the original Hammerli scope mount but this note to Katie at UltraDot may be of interest."

I need a bit more information in order to be of any help. How did you zero the scope initially? Did you sandbag it or do it offhand like you have to shoot?
Initially, it was scoped in using a pistol rest, hand held. The rounds were centered in nickle size circle in the X bullseye, using 5 rounds to zero it in.

Was your league at the same distance and the same lighting conditions as your zeroing? Yes... 50 ft. official league target. Indoor range.

Did you make sure the rings were tight on the mount and around the scope?
Yes, the second reset of the Ultra Dot required about 6 inches of travel from left to right to come bad to center again. The rail clamps then were tight.

If you have the original Hammerli Mount and weight you can remove it by doing nothing more than loosening the large allen screw holding the Hammerli weight to the gun. The mount and the weight will come off as a unit.

When you say. go bananas, what does that mean? How many clicks did you have to move it to get re-zeroed? Pardon my misuse of the english language, perhaps bezerk was a better word for the red dots movement during actual score firing. :-)

If it stays zeroed now, isn't it easier to assume that you didn't tighten it enough the first time and everything is okey dokey now, rather than there is something wrong with either the mount or the scope?

I beleive we are on the correct path here sir. Tonight after I reset the Ultradot on the Hammerli mount, I retested it at the range, and 14 of 15 rds were placed again within the X of a slow fire target. One in the 9 circle. All rounds fired using a bench rest. So I believe we could have had a loosening of the rail mounting bolts over a period of time. They are all now firmly set.

My concern now is not with the UltraDot itself, but in the proper set up of the Hammerly scope mount on the Hammerli. There is a small set screw towards the rear of the mount between the rails edges and about 3/4 way to the rear of the mounting rail itself. It screws downward to the barrel itself, and causes the rails to rise or fall in its adjustments. I am assuming what I am writing now. Is this screw meant to help adjust various scopes to the Hammerli 208s frame?
It only adjusts to the vertical.. nothing else.
Thanks..
EagleEye

Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

This sounds like an after market modification designed to shim up the back of the mount possibly to compensate for a scope that did not have enough verticle adjustment. My mount in original condition does not have this. If you don't need it, I would remove it. Sounds like something that would scratch the gun if you forgot to unscrew it before taking off the mount.
EagleEyes

Post by EagleEyes »

Isabel1130 wrote:This sounds like an after market modification designed to shim up the back of the mount possibly to compensate for a scope that did not have enough verticle adjustment. My mount in original condition does not have this. If you don't need it, I would remove it. Sounds like something that would scratch the gun if you forgot to unscrew it before taking off the mount.
My thoughts exactly.. thank you for confirming it. It seemed to raise the rear of the Hammerli mount and perhaps may have caused the UltraDot to be pushed to its limits in compensating for this in its adjustments.
I will do a reset of the UltraDot after I remove this particular screw.
Thanks.. we are gaining a bit.. BTW.. this rail mount has Hammerli in print on the front end left and right side. So it may very well be the one you described earlier as the original.
Gracias Amigo..
EagleEye