Adjustable width rear iron sights?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cgroppi

Adjustable width rear iron sights?

Post by cgroppi »

Does anyone make adjustable notch width rear sights of the type used on European target pistols that fit US made pistols like the S&W 41? Pretty much every modern Euro target pistol has them, but I can't find any similar options that will fit my Model 41.

I use a dot on a Clark BO barrel for Bullseye, but am looking for a 5 1/2" iron sight barrel to use for international matches. I'd love to have a sight like my Morini air pistol on the 41.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If you're going to bugger up the sight anyway, you can try what I did on my 41. I took a 5/16" chain saw file (couple of bucks at the hardware store) and hogged out the notch to a nice clean half moon. The file has no taper, but you have to angle it slightly after you cut the notch so you can't see the sides of the cut.

This style was popular with the Russians when they were kicking U.S. butt at World Cup etc.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have been tempted to do something like that. Seems that a sloped side of the rear notch would change the height and width of the "light crack" when the front sight wanders left or right. (Front sights do that ya know)
Rover

Post by Rover »

You're exactly right! That's the advantage of it, since it makes a discrepancy more noticable.