Aging Eyes

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

pzoba

Aging Eyes

Post by pzoba »

After shooting lots of Bullseye 10-15 years ago, I hadn't shot a lot of pistol recently. Just started shooting an air pistol league with my son and weird, my eyes don't focus on the front sight so well anymore (47 year old eyes). The front sight is fuzzy sometimes. I have to blink hard to get a focus but no more razor sharp like it used to be.

I don't wear any corrective lens but I do wear reading glasses for the last 3-4 years.

So, do I need to go get a corrective lens and go that direction (find an optometrist that will assist with target shooting) or do I get an iris? I tried a guys knoblock iris last night on the line and that seemed to work pretty well.

Need some guidance here ...
randy1952

Re: Aging Eyes

Post by randy1952 »

pzoba wrote:After shooting lots of Bullseye 10-15 years ago, I hadn't shot a lot of pistol recently. Just started shooting an air pistol league with my son and weird, my eyes don't focus on the front sight so well anymore (47 year old eyes). The front sight is fuzzy sometimes. I have to blink hard to get a focus but no more razor sharp like it used to be.

I don't wear any corrective lens but I do wear reading glasses for the last 3-4 years.

So, do I need to go get a corrective lens and go that direction (find an optometrist that will assist with target shooting) or do I get an iris? I tried a guys knoblock iris last night on the line and that seemed to work pretty well.

Need some guidance here ...
Sounds to me like you already figured it out when you tried the guys knoblock. I have had to wear shooting glasses for years as my front sights lost definition. You can have an eye doctor check your vision for the distances you need to focus.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go with the optometrist. Get it right first try.

What you need is your "scrip" plus 1.25 to 1.50 to pull your eye to the front sight.

I like my Champion shooting glasses with scrip plus additional diopter lenses so I can play with them.

C'mon, we're old and blind so we should expect to pay!
pzoba

Post by pzoba »

I've done some more research on this and also spent quite a bit of time (45 minutes?) on the phone with Neil Stepp - great guy. I have an eye doctor appointment made now for next week and expect I will be needing my first set of distance glasses... with bifocals because I've used reading glasses now for a few years.

Neil says that once that baseline is set, I'll likely need just another 0.25 - 0.75 diopter to pull that front sight tight and he can send a set of lenses to determine this with my new glasses, if required. Once we determine which diopter works best, then he will grind me a lens with my prescription plus the diopter. This sounds like a logical approach and should work out.

If anyone has interest, I'll post back in a couple weeks with the outcome.

Thanks - Paul
tleddy

ClearsighT

Post by tleddy »

Please see the ClearsighT thread on this forum...

Tillman