Cryo barrels and parts

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

penman53

Cryo barrels and parts

Post by penman53 »

I have been looking into getting my barrel, hammer and sear on my competition gun cryogenically treated. There are several places across the country that does it and I believe that the one in Scottsdale Arizona is the one I will go with. I think if I do this on a gun with the trigger perfect, it will last many times longer and the trigger characteristics will not change over time.

Any suggestions or comments on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mark Thomas
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

I was aware that cryo on a rifle barrel can remove stress making a straighter barrel. The difference is minute if you start with a good barrel, so much so that most High Power Rifle shooters dont even fool with it.

I was not aware that cryo hardens metal parts in the sence of wear resistance. Before spending your money take a look at parts made from tool steel or having them plated with TiN or even a chrome plating. Chrome has been used a long time to provide wear resistance. Small parts like sears and sear engagement notches on hammers can be easily harden by heating them with a propane torch until red and non-magnetic and quenching them in oil. I've done this several times, its simple and works.

I would rather have the barrel wear out and replace that than have to replace a worn out slide.

If you do go with the cryo please post the results.
fc60

Cryo Treatment of Steel

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I machine dies out of O-1 tool steel. They harden up to about Rc 60. After a three hour soak in Liquid Nitrogen, the hardness increases to Rc 61-62. What is happening is that the low temperature is converting free Austenite into Martensite.

If I recall correctly, Shilen barrels do not recommend Cryo Treatment of their products.

Personally, I would not spend money on your personal project. The funds could be better used buying ammunition.

Cheers,

Dave