Ultra dot L/T dot size versus Tru Glo...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Chris_D

Ultra dot L/T dot size versus Tru Glo...

Post by Chris_D »

Hi folks.

I just got an ultra dot size mounted on my Smith model 52 last night and went to the range. I was VERY disappointed with the dot. At 50 feet using 50 feet bullseye targets, the dot completely covers the black.

I also have a tru-glo sight on my model 41 which I put on last weekend. That sight has an adjustable brightness and with that my dot size (Set at mid brightness) is a nice sized, round dot -much better than the ultra dot.

Now I will admit, I was tired, my eyes were sore and I will try again this weekend, but I sure would like to hear from other shooters what they see with the Ultradot L/T sight at 50 feet.

Chris
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Chris,

do you not have an adjustment knob on top of the Ultradot to change the dot size? Settings of 2,4,6,8 are usable ... The Ultradot Match dot can adjust the size of dot to the size of a bread crumb way smaller than a B-2 or B-3 NRA 50' target black zone or be dialed up to size 8 and fill the entire black area.

I have (3) Ultradot scopes, all mounted on b/e target .22 pistols.

The only other dot scope I'd consider other than Ultradot would be an Aimpoint. ... I understand everyone is budget concious too so put on the best you can afford.

Scopes are sort or personal so look at several products and keep talking to shooters to find what are in use and what stays inside the box.

All the best

M.S.
Finprof

Ultradot L/T

Post by Finprof »

I noticed in your header that you have an Ultradot L/T. This is the small reflex lightweight sight. Most of the bullseye shooters have the tube-type sight in either 1 inch or 30mm size. I have three of the regular Ultradots in 30MM size.
The dot size in the tube-type ultradot is 4 MOA, so it should subtend about 1 inch at 25 yards and about 2/3 inch at 50 feet. The more expensive model can be adjusted from 2 to 8 MOA.
The company claims that the ultradot L/T also is 4 MOA but it adjusts brightness automatically for light conditions. If you are shooting from an indoor port with overhead lighting, the sight thinks that it is bright and cranks up its brightness, making it look much bigger.
The dot shooters usually extinguish the overhead light on the port for shooting while iron sight users tend to keep it on.
Chris_D

Post by Chris_D »

Yes this is the small reflex sight. The reason I chose this one is because it is mounted on the slide of the model 52. Being a picky gun, any extra weigt on the slide will cause problems. I am starting to think I made a really big mistake because Ultradot does not allow returns.

If I can figure out where the photosensor is on the sight, I might be able to trick it into thinking it is darker than it is and get the brightness down. The range I shot at was very dark and I did have the overhead light off.

Today I will shoot the gun in another range (indoor) and see if I can get any better results.

Chris