High Standard .22 Ammo

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

cochese598

High Standard .22 Ammo

Post by cochese598 »

I would like to get some feedback from folks that have or do shoot the older High Standards on what type of ammo works best for them. I am new to shooting a Victor High Standard and love it, however I have had some feeding problems from time to time. I have come to learn that this gun can be tempermental with certain types of ammo and am trying to narrow down my options. Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

Pick up 3 or 4 cases of Eley Ten-X and see how that works out for you.

OR, you might try some CCI Standard Velocity.
hill987

ammo

Post by hill987 »

I have had good luck with CCI SV but if you go below 1050 fps you will have some problems, not all the time but sometimes It's very important to keep the gun very clean and lubed properly. Also polishing all rub areas will help, be careful though This old H S are one of the greatest that was ever build. I enjoy mine. good luck
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have no problems with Eley Sport (purple), Aguila SV, CCI SV, Wolf MT, SK, and real Eley in my High Standards. Always standard velocity. Real Eley almost always groups the best. I seldom see the need or sources of other top ammo (Lapua, or RWS) so I have little experience with them.
yana

Post by yana »

They especially sensitive to mag adjustment. So I'd check that first.
Mine shot well with CCI.
Buy the way, DONT shoot high velocity in a High Standard.
jr_roosa

Post by jr_roosa »

There's feeding reliability and priming reliability. I have a supermatic citation. Mine doesn't like really waxy bullet lubes, maybe the springs are getting soft.

These feed well, but have lots of duds (3-5%):

Remington target, Federal auto match

These feed OK and have fewer duds (1-2%):

Win T22 (these get chunks of lead shaved off on feeding), Eley sport

These are primed well, but are too gooey to feed well:

CCI Standard velocity and green tag

These feed well and are primed well (<1% duds or never had a dud):

Federal 711B, Fed 922, Eley target pistol (discontinued)

It's hard for me to speak on accuracy, I don't have a Ransom rest and I never got very good at shooting off sandbags. They all seem to be accurate enough for bullseye at the level I shoot, although the T22s get big chunks of lead shaved off sometimes that can't help accuracy.
mike900

Hi Standard .22 Ammo

Post by mike900 »

I have shot a Victor for at least 30 years. Now not shooting because of right arm injury. But if you have heard from first Army Pistol coach when you stand in brass up to your a-- you will master. I have shot just about it all. CCI and some eleys are great but try different ammo in yours. But I found in Victors if you don't clean the chamber All will give you problems. Just my opinon, master right expert left. Learn from mistakes.
38HBWC

HS Victor and cousins.

Post by 38HBWC »

High Standard magazines from old production are made of tempered steel and feed well. The knock-offs are not as nice, as the steel is soft and if droppedm you may have to adjust. Not knowing through ownership, but rather through the grapevine, I hear that new production magazines are not as nice as the older +/- 70's era ones. Gun shows are great soure for snapping up a handful of the older ons. The waxy bullet comment is true, Federal Auto-Match is very satisfactory. I have only have one bad lot in the last 45-50 cartons I have shot in the last three years.
oldcaster

high standard pistol

Post by oldcaster »

Automatch is even faster than Blazer. Depending on the barrel length, about 1100 fps and this is just asking to crack a frame. These guns aren't made for high velocity ammo but only standard velocity which will be about 940 fps. if you already know that your magazines are correct (most likely problem) check to see that the barrel isn't battered from too long of a firing pin and last check your extractor. Using faster ammo to correct a problem is courting disaster. I shot these in the AMU in 1965 and the armourer would have had heart failure on the spot if he found that you had shot a high velocity round in "his" pistol. The ones we shot still had the sights on the slide. 103's or 105's, I can't remember. I have had a Citation for a long time now and it gets AguilaSV, Eley Sport, or Russian Junior until the Junior is gone and is very reliable with any of them.
old gaffer

Post by old gaffer »

I shoot the CMP std vel Aquila and Eley Sport - both do quite well with no feed problems as long as I keep the chamber clean.

i use a .25 cal brass brush and Gunzilla on a fairly regular basis to keep bullet lube from building up. Bend the brush so only as much brush as a bullet is long will go in the chamber and you'll never have problems.

All the best,
Rob