Best and most economical timer for bullseye? ...a Newbie...

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

magi

Best and most economical timer for bullseye? ...a Newbie...

Post by magi »

Hi there,

I did check the archives but maybe it is too basic a question. I am just starting bullseye with my first match in January; what is a good basic timer that is reasonably priced and what should I look for in features?
Al responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks, magi
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

Congrats on entering your first Bullseye match -- that's exciting!

For me, the most practical starting timer was one I picked up in the kitchen section of my local store. Years ago with all the travel I did, I knew the wear and tear (crazed baggage handlers!) would eventually affect the timer, so I didn't want to invest a whole lot of moolah into something expensive. For my needs, I got one that counted up by the minutes to let me know if an hour had already passed.

The two disciplines I use the timer for is air and Free. The rest is controlled by the match director, so I don't worry about it.

Now, I have a "nicer" version with other features. It also counts backwards from say 1 hour 15 minutes, as an example.

Best of luck -- hope you have fun!
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

A basic countdown timer (try cooking aids, that's what they are used for) will do the trick. About $8.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

While not as cheap as a kitchen timer, the following is very useful and many shooters and clubs use these them good sucess. The quality of these units is excellent.

http://www.targettimers.com/timers.html

Brian
clark2245

Re: Best and most economical timer for bullseye? ...a Newbi

Post by clark2245 »

magi wrote:Hi there,

I did check the archives but maybe it is too basic a question. I am just starting bullseye with my first match in January; what is a good basic timer that is reasonably priced and what should I look for in features?
Al responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks, magi
You don't really say but so far the assumption is you are looking for a timer for slow fire, which runs for up to 10 minutes. For that the kitchen type timer is good but be sure and disable the buzzer part as nothing that makes any noise is allowed on the line. With many you can set the timer to count up so no alarm goes off if you don't want to cut the wires.

If you are looking for a timer for training for timed and rapid fire the easiest way is to download the mp3 files from www.bullseyepistol.com and load them on any player with the ear buds under your muffs.

Clark
crankythunder

timer for bullseye

Post by crankythunder »

I really like the old kodak timer that was manufactured for dark rooms. it is about 3 inches in diameter so I can see it (as opposed to a 1 inch diameter stopwatch). It is analog which calms me inbetween shots and it is windup-no batteries. I have a couple that I got offa ebay. bolted it to my pistol box so it is right below my spotting scope.
magi

Post by magi »

Thanks to you all for the info..I just googled shooting supplies and found Midway has one for $16 that can be audible, silent or vibrate. That sounds practical; I really just want it for practicing slow, timed and rapid fire so I can get dialed in to a rythm and not fire the last round into empty space!
Thanks for the encouragement too...

magi
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

for timed and rapid I use a digital recorder that I have the range commands and buzzers on. i downladed the mp3's and recorded from my pc the commands. The digital recorder costs about $30 and it holds every command I need. It fits well in my pistol box and it really simulates a real match.
Orion

Post by Orion »

little_doodie wrote:for timed and rapid I use a digital recorder that I have the range commands and buzzers on. i downladed the mp3's and recorded from my pc the commands. The digital recorder costs about $30 and it holds every command I need. It fits well in my pistol box and it really simulates a real match.
+1
Rover

Post by Rover »

You have ten minutes to shoot the slow fire portions of the match. Usually everyone is finished before that. For the remaining portions of the match a timer is useless.

Therefore, use your watch.
Makarov

Post by Makarov »

Get IPHONE.
Free APP: taurus shooting timer.
Eliza

Post by Eliza »

Like the others, I’m happy to hear that you are entering Bullseye match! It’s definitely great to be part of it! I suggest you to have the cheapest kitchen timer, it would certainly help you.

My Sports Timer
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Buy a vioce recorder. Put the commands with the correct timing and a start and stop buzzer or other sound on it.

Dave C.
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

Buy a vioce recorder. Put the commands with the correct timing and a start and stop buzzer or other sound on it.

Dave C.