Hi Standards

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

rooger6

Hi Standards

Post by rooger6 »

Am looking for a pistol for Bullseye and attended a gun show yesterday. Found an older used Hi Standard Supermatic with a bull barrel that was a little rough for under $400 but the seller said it was a such and such version and it typically didn't go for as much money, was thinking it had to do with "HD", or something. An suggestions on where to learn more on these pistols and what to look for? From what I've read the new ones from Texas aren't as good as the old ones. Thanks in advance.
jr_roosa

Post by jr_roosa »

Here's some general info:

www.highstandard.org

I have a Hamden supermatic citation 7.5" that I shoot every week at bullseye league. I really like it. I probably wouldn't like it as much if it wasn't reliable.

From what I have heard, they either work well or they don't, and the older ones work really well so long as they don't have newly manufactured magazines or damaged magazine feed lips.

Unfortunately for you (fortunately for me) I've never tried a magazine other than the one that came with it, and it's very reliable with the right ammo with very few alibis. It feeds anything without a heavy or gooey bullet lube.

-J
PFribley

High standard

Post by PFribley »

Lots of high standard info on rim fire central.
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Adjusting Hi-Standard mags that don't want to work can be coaxed fairly simply with adjustments on the lips. I have my 1970's era Hamden Citation bull bbl. working with one original mag and three I purchased on lien and tweaked until they work quite well. I'll try to scan my copy of an instruction sheet and post it here on TT. "Doc"
rooger6

Post by rooger6 »

Thanks...all info appreciated. Also, are there any key areas to be concerned about when looking at these used such as excessive play anywhere, barrel bore, etc.? Do you know of any particular issues with any of the vintages. I'll continue to devour any info off the 'net so any links also appreciated.
hill987

H S

Post by hill987 »

Hi, You need to look for the better grades of the old Hampton's. That being supermatic in trophy, tournament, or victor. Those three pretty much rule the roost on the firing line. I have a tournament myself that I have reached expert with. And already shooting master scores with it. I shoot a lot with open sights and occasionally I have a spare barrel with an ultradot on it. I really don't know much about the new High Standards, only for the fact that I sent one gun there and had a new spring kit put in it. I didn't have any issues. There is a lot of old Hampton guns out there for sale. Just try to find the best one you can, as far as condition wise, 98% or better. It's always nice to have a spare barrel so that when you are shooting big tournaments, to be more competitive, you will have to use ultradot. But, for regular matches I always shoot open sights. I like them because of the feel, matches the 45. I know that some have went to marvel conversions, but there are too many hiccups with those. Clips mainly. I was at the regional match and a guy beside me was shooting a marvel conversion, he couldn't get his gun to load. That really messes with you, when you are having trouble with your gun on the firing line. I watched his scores diminish quickly. Make sure you get a couple of good, old factory clips. You should be good to go.