4 moa vs. 2 moa

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

ssauer2004

4 moa vs. 2 moa

Post by ssauer2004 »

I currently have a Walther GSP Expert with an Ultradot 4 moa scope mounted. I always thought that the 4 moa was little too big at 50ft. I have thought about purchasing another scope with the ability to switch from 4 moa to 2 moa. Did anyone see their scores go up switching from 4 to 2? Was it easier to aim in the black? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I think dot size is something your head will just play games with. There is no one correct size. I have been liking the 6 and 8 minute dots lately. There may be reasons a person likes large or small. Wobble area (size) vs black size, their eyesight quality, and lighting come to mind.
clark2245

Re: 4 moa vs. 2 moa

Post by clark2245 »

As mentioned it is one of those personal preference things but quite a few of us find that a little larger dot results in less perceived movement on the target and thus makes trigger control easier. A smaller dot just seems to move around more, looks like it anyway, and it becomes more difficult to pull the trigger properly in a continuous process. If you have a really solid hold or good smooth trigger control the small dot might work well for you. Best idea is to find someone who has one of those on their gun, a matchdot probably, and give it a try first.

Clark
usmcmba

Post by usmcmba »

I had a ultradot match dot model a while back. I never liked the 2 MOA because the wobble was very pronounced with such a small dot (I was constantly fighting the gun to get the dot steady on the center). I actually shot better when I started using the 4 MOA dot as it wasn't so much distractions. I now use a Aimpoint fixed 4 moa dot model.

Also I do want to mention that i am trying out Brian Zin's recommendation that you focus on the target instead of the dot (you have to dim the dot until you can hardly see) and so far, this method seems to be promising.

Like someone said too, all a matter of personal preference.
ssauer2004

Post by ssauer2004 »

I appreciate all of the feedback.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I prefer a much larger dot ca 8 minute at 50 ft it leaves a bit of black showing.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Red Dot - Final answer.

http://www.nygordprecision.com/redot.html

Have a look at the rest of "Nygord's Notes" as well.
PA shooter

Post by PA shooter »

I have only been shooting a gallery course lately and find that I use 2MOA and a very low brightness setting during slow fire. I am new to the game and shot my first 80 slow fire target last week. I use the 2MOA for timed and rapid as well, but turn up the brightess setting two or three clicks depending on what glasses I am wearing.
PA shooter
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

To elaborate on what a lot of the other posters have said, dot size and brightness is an individual preference thing. I tend to use a smaller or dimmer dot during slow fire because it is less distracting and you are less likely to look directly at the dot. Watching it bounce makes you unsure of your hold and tends to make you hesitant to pull the trigger. The dot in slow fire is just a place holder to tell me that the sight is aligned in the black while I try to complete a smooth trigger pull while my hold is good. In sustained fire I turn the dot up quite a bit, not so much that it's brightness and size is distracting but enough so I am not searching for it and panicking as the recoil of the 45 occasionally pulls it off the target. That is happening less often now and I am getting better at keeping the dot in the scope even during rapid fire, which makes for less panic, smoother triggering and fewer skidders.