45ACP bullets

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

bebloomster

45ACP bullets

Post by bebloomster »

Just wondering what your preference is in 45ACP bullets for serious paper punching. I've been using cast 200gr SWC's (Lyman 452630 and 452460). Just got in some cast 185gr similar to the Lyman 452630 design. Tried them with +/- 3.8gr Bullseye but wasn't all that thrilled. Will try them maybe tomorrow with W-231 and Clays. What cast bullet do you prefer?
Ernie Rodriguez

Cast Bullets-45 ACP

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I have found that about 3.9grs +/- of the following powder are relatively clean and accurate-B.E.,WST,Clays,N310,S1000 and Vectan Ba10. H&G # 68 SHAPED (either FB or BB) are good(185 to 200grs) are OK. If you want a slightly shorter nose-H&G S242(160gr) and H&G type 242(185) is OK too. If you want a "button nosed" shaped bullet-any H&G 130 shaped is fine. At target velocities-BHN of about 10 to 12 works fine-in most cases.I have found the old formula half Beeswax and half Alox an excellent lubricant in keeping the BBL relatively lead free and ease of cleaning.As usual,load development,is important in choosing the most accurate combination of powder/bullet with YOUR individual pistol.Cheers
ciscovt

Cast Bullets --.45 ACP

Post by ciscovt »

For 50 yards I have alway used the 200 gr H&G 68 Bullet cast with straight wheel weight and about 2% tin. I have recently softened my allow up a bit using 1/2 WW + 1/2 Lead and 2% tin. I like the softer alloy for the velocities and pressures that I shoot. 4.1 WST has proven to work best for my pistol
I have shot the H&G 130, 185gr button nose at the short line w/ 4.1 gr of WST very successfully. It doesn't shoot too badly at 50yds either, just not as good as the H&G 68.
I just recently started cast the Saeco #065 which is a slightly shortened H&G 68 style bullet at 170gr. With 4.1gr of WST is is proving to be very accurate for me both at 25yds and at 50yds.

ciscovt
cowboydon

Oregon LCSWC bullets

Post by cowboydon »

For 25 and 50 yards paper punching small groups i use the oregon laser cast swc 200g, with my les baer off a rest i average shooting 30, 5 shot groups 1.750, with Bullseye 3.7g 2.450 OAL. shooting .835 groups at 25yards, i shoot about 3000 rds a month.

DH
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Damn, 150 shots in 1.75 inch off a rest and .835 at 25 yards! I assume this isn't the gun you sent to Dr. Nick? Let us know how that new barrel works out.

36,000 rounds of .45 a year! Man you must be good, I only get in about 5, to 6 K tops and only a few matches outside of Perry.

Cecil Rhodes
HM
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

The lasecast 200 grain bullets are very good ones. Neil Kravitz says that they are nothing special just "cast bullets" but a friend has a chrono and a ransom rest and we tested a bunch of different bullets in three different guns. The lasercast 200g SWC's were uniformly the best across all three guns. As soon as I run out of the long line bullets I am currently shooting I am going to the 200g lasercast for the long line.
Old Caster

Post by Old Caster »

Bebloomster, I have tried a lot of different lead bullets in my Les Baer wadcutter gun since Star swaged were no longer available. Some were awful but I have had good results with Lasercast, Magnus swaged, Zero swaged, and 068 and 069 Saeco self molded bullets. All of these were 200 grain except the star and all were shot with a Ransom Rest at 50 yards. They are all close enough to each other that it would be hard to really say definitively that one is better than another especially if a different gun was involved in another test. I shoot the flat base 069's at 50 because they are a hair better every time however they are a pain to use because it is harder to put them in a case when seating the bullet and the 068 with the bevel base makes things easier. I use them for the short line. Another bullet that surrprised me for accuracy was a Dardas 200 grain 68 clone that was sized .451. I accidently ordered them that way because their default size on their order page was .451 and you had to change it to get .452 or .453. After being pleasantly surprised with their accuracy, I ordered some .452 and some .453's. As they got bigger they got worse starting at 2 inches for 10 shots and finishing at about 3 1/2. If I didn't make my own I would definitely use the .451 Dardas bullets as their price is good also. If you order some from them now and want .451 you have to call them because that size is no longer available on their order site. If you would like, send me a PM at MrLau@Charter.net and I will send you some of the 069 Saeco bullets to try because I know they are accurate and if it doesn't work for you there is another problem because I'm not the only one who has excellent results. One of my friends shot a slow fire of 99 with his personally accurized gun at a match last year with the 068's. I don't expect money for the bullets as I would see that as petty for that amount. I shoot 5.4 of Power Pistol at 50 and 3.3 of Clays at 25. The friend that shot the 99 uses 700X but I don't know what load. I really don't think it matters much as long as it goes about 750 to 775 fps.
cowboydon

Post by cowboydon »

Isabel1130 wrote:The lasecast 200 grain bullets are very good ones. Neil Kravitz says that they are nothing special just "cast bullets" but a friend has a chrono and a ransom rest and we tested a bunch of different bullets in three different guns. The lasercast 200g SWC's were uniformly the best across all three guns. As soon as I run out of the long line bullets I am currently shooting I am going to the 200g lasercast for the long line.
This pistol is a les baer priemer ll, it's just a standard 3.5 " at 50 yards, but this one out shoots the wadcutter i sent to Nick, that was a 1-1/2" at 50y. i must have got a hummer barrel in this one, i know it's the tightest LB i have owned. it will be interesting how the schuemann 24 gain twist does on the wadcutter, if i get it back.

DH
bebloomster

Post by bebloomster »

Old Caster wrote:If you would like I will send you some of the 069 Saeco bullets to try because I know they are accurate and if it doesn't work for you there is another problem because I'm not the only one who has excellent results. One of my friends shot a slow fire of 99 with his personally accurized gun at a match last year with the 068's. I don't expect money for the bullets as I would see that as petty for that amount. I shoot 5.4 of Power Pistol at 50 and 3.3 of Clays at 25. The friend that shot the 99 uses 700X but I don't know what load. I really don't think it matters much as long as it goes about 750 to 775 fps.
I really appreciate the offer however the Saeco 069 appears to be pretty much as the Lyman 452630... the only difference being the Saeco having a flat base and the Lyman having a bevel base. I have that Lyman mold on hand and have been casting them from scrap wheelweight, sizing to .452 and lubing with White Label BAC. Still experimenting with various powders but W-231 and HP-38 seem to work well... just not quite as tight of groups as I'd like (think 2.5" at 25 yards). Haven't tried Clays yet but have heard good things about it. Also want to work some more with the Lyman 452460.
Art

Post by Art »

I've shot over 50K of the Laser Cast 200g SWC. I've not compared their accuracy with other bullets but have found I get less leading with the Laser Cast than other brands I've shot.

3.8g N310 under the 200g bullet has worked well for me. I use the same load for the short line and the long line.

They cost more than some other cast bullets, the Oregon Trail website usually has specials and their prices include shipping.
Old Caster

Post by Old Caster »

"The lasecast 200 grain bullets are very good ones. Neil Kravitz says that they are nothing special just "cast bullets" but a friend has a chrono and a ransom rest and we tested a bunch of different bullets in three different guns. "

I can't even come close to agreeing with Mr. Kravitz. I have tried some brands that are plum awful and I would have to put the Lasercast near the top in my experience. I even had some H&G clones from a reputable supplier that wouldn't hold 6 inches at 50 from a RR. Always try a few before buying a lot. I had 2000 of the ones that were worthless.