Marvel Magazines

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Misny

Marvel Magazines

Post by Misny »

This question is for those who shoot the Marvel conversion. Which are the best magazines, regarding functioning and durability? There is quite a cost difference between the two types offered. Those two being metal and poly.
jackh

Post by jackh »

The best function I had with Marvel Precision was using the Metalform magazines only after they were reformed to match the original Colt Ace. I got into using MP before plastic mags. The metal ones of the time had terribly shaped lips. I believe Metalform improved later. I tried Kimber plastic mags. No luck. Kimbers did get better with a spring tightener plug made by Roddy Toyota. Nowadays I have AA and BM uppers. My remaining MP might be on the market after summer.
clark2245

Re: Marvel Magazines

Post by clark2245 »

Misny wrote:This question is for those who shoot the Marvel conversion. Which are the best magazines, regarding functioning and durability? There is quite a cost difference between the two types offered. Those two being metal and poly.
I've had good luck with the metal mags for years now. Any problems they had seem to have been fixed as far as I can tell from my experience and that of friends who have started using them recently. The poly mags work ok also but I did have occasional issues when I got a couple when they first came out. What seemed to solve my problems was I noticed that when loading them the bullet would occasionally get slightly cocked out of position when I inserted it. There is no tab to press the follower down, you just press the bullets in, so that might increase the chances of this happening. I found if I stopped loading for a second and straightened the bullet out that 1/16 inch or whatever it is to completely straight there were no more problems. At least I think this what fixed it as the problems stopped then and I have always done it since. I don't know anyone with any newer poly ones however so I do not know current reliability on them. One of the Marvel people recommended the metal ones last time I asked.

Another factor to be aware of with Marvel type units is the relationship of the strength of the recoil spring in the unit to the strength of the main spring (hammer spring) in the 1911. If you have a stronger main spring, as is fairly common, you might need to go to a lighter recoil spring in the conversion especially if using softer ammo. A 9# spring is standard but they sell 8# and 7# springs for this purpose. Stronger ammo such as CCI is not normally a problem but some of the softer brands will result in all sorts of jams if the combination of springs is too strong to allow the slide to move through its full range.

Clark
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

I have been using an original Marvel with the Colt steel magazines for several years and I have never had any problems that were magazine related. As the previous poster says you need the correct recoil spring for the ammo you are using. The 9# spring shipped with the unit may be okay for HV ammo but not the std velocity that we use for bullseye. I use an 8# spring with CMP Aguila. It needs to be replaced about once a year. It also needs to be kept wet with oil just like a 1911 or it will jam. The chamber is tight and needs to kept clean for the same reason. All this makes it sound like a lot of trouble to go through but it really isn't. Keep it clean and lubricated and it will be fine.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for all the input. It looks like the metal mags might be the way to go. One guy at our club who has a Marvel is using the poly mags. He hasn't shot them that much, but so far they are working well after a little sanding to fit the frame of his pistol.
clark2245

Post by clark2245 »

marvelshooter wrote:.........The 9# spring shipped with the unit may be okay for HV ammo but not the std velocity that we use for bullseye. ..........
Actually I've been using a 9# spring with Augila and CCI ammo, both SV, with no problems in multiple Marvel units because I have a 19# mainspring in my 1911. Many 1911's come with stock mainsprings in the 21# - 23# range and that difference seems to be enough to require an 8# recoil spring in the Marvel, or possibly even a 7# one, with most SV ammo. Just a question of balancing the two spring weights to come up with a combination that works for you.

Clark
Don

Post by Don »

Marvelshooter,

My Marvel Precision conversion is very ammunition sensitive. It doesn't like Federal Gold Medal Match (frequent jams), for example, which both of my High Standard Victors love. Where did you get the 8# spring? Marvel Precision lists only 9# and 10# springs on their web site.

Thanks,
Don
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

On one frame I couldn't get the Colt marked steel mags from Marvel Precision to work but the plastic magazines from Advantage Arms worked perfectly. I put a mag release from EGW (special order) that holds the magazines .040" higher in the frame and then the steel magazines worked perfectly.

I like the plastic magazines from AA - they cost much less and they have been durable for many thousands of rounds. You do have to grind the part off the follower that lifts the slide stop so the slide doesn't stay back on the Marvel Precision unit.

I also put a shock buffer in the Marvel Precision Unit 1 - I took a regular shock buff for a 1911 and cut and ground till it was a horseshoe shape and it has worked fine for several months. I got the idea from somewhere on the internet forums. I use the 9lb spring.

One of my Unit 1's is ammo sensitive, the other shoots about everything. I shoot CCI Standard Velocity - There's a High Master in CO that uses it in his Unit 1 so I thought I might as well - it's very reliable and Ransom Rest tests shows it groups less than an inch at 50 yards.
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

Don,
You have to call and ask for them. They are not on the website. You can even get 7# springs. When I was having trouble getting mine to function I bought one of each and just kept changing them till I got it right.
Good luck,
Dan
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have also used the Ciener mags with my Marvel unit. Mine work well with Wolf MT ammo.
Last edited by TonyT on Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
slinger

Post by slinger »

I own 6 Marvels. I shoot Ceiner mags in all of them except for one unit I have mounted on a SA frame,,,,it will not work with Ceiners, for that one I use the Metalform. The Ceiners load real easy too.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I too have experienced some difficulty in seating ceratin mags into my SA Trophy Match. I have used it with a Tactical Solutions 22 conversiopn unity for steel plate shoots (a far cry from bullseye but the youngsters do enjoy seeing the plates drop). The only mags that would fir into my gun were the Advantage Arms, Ciener and Metalform. The AA mag has feeding failures and neither the Tactical Solutions nor kimber would fit.
Misny

Post by Misny »

Well I got my Marvel Precision Unit 1 Wednesday. It came with a polymer magazine. I put it on a SA "Loaded" frame, slapped a scope on it, oiled it and the magazine up and took it to the range. I tried SK Pistol Match, SK Pistol Match Special and Aguila Target. I got a jam every other round. The jams were consistent. The round ended up nose up and the slide caught the round at the middle of the brass, subsequently creating a large dent in the cartridge. The problem looks magazine related to me, but these conversion units are new to me. The foam rubber on the case the Unit 1's case had a tear in it, too. I have an e-mail in to Marvel Precision, as of yesterday. So far, I just got an automated reply.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

I've only had mine (as 2nd owner) for a couple of months. Steel Colt magazines. So far it has digested everything I've put in the mag - from Eley Pistol to SK Standard Plus, to SuperClub, to the Fiocchi Blue (made by Aquila). Absolutely zero FTE, FTF, always ejected, all to essentially the same point of aim - at least I can't see a difference.

Dr Jim
Misny

Post by Misny »

I've learned a couple of things. First off, all poly magazines are not created equal. The magazine that came with my Marvel Conversion Unit 1 has feed lips much farther apart than those of a buddy that has a couple (his function). This doesn't allow the round to be held in place and lined up. Secondly, my Marvel, while not functioning at all with the poly mag, functions flawlessly with a buddy's two Metalform mags. I ran about 60 or 70 rounds through the conversion without one malfunctionwith the metal mags. After calling Marvel (they didn't repond to my e-mail), I did modify the poly mag that came with the pistol, as per instructions from a Marvel employee. I have concluded that this poly magazine is junk. I'll call Marvel after the holiday and see if they will keep their promise and give me a new magazine (hopefully a metal one). Marvel employees have been polite and attentive. The journey continues.

Post by Guest »

Misny,

Please share with us what the Marvel employee have you do to the poly mag!
Misny

Post by Misny »

I called Marvel after I got no response to the e-mail I sent. They stated that the problem must have been with a new server they just signed with. Since I've had good luck with adjusting the feed lips of Metalform mags I recently purchased (not from Marvel) and having them function well, I asked if I could have a metal magazine in place of the poly mag that came with the Unit 1. I was told I could exchange the poly mag for a metal mag for $30. I declined the offer, since I can get Metalform mags much less expensively than Marvel Precision sells them for. I asked for a refund for the poly mag, so I could buy another Metalform mag. They declined to give me a refund for the defective poly mag. That only left me with their option, and that was to return the defective poly mag that came with my Marvel Unit 1 at my expense. I returned the defective poly mag. I received a different poly mag today and MP stated that they tested it with 40 rounds of CCI SV in a Caspian frame before shipping. I was only able to test 5 rounds through the Unit 1 today with SK Pistol Match ammo and all rounds fed and ejected well. I am optimistic that the replacement magazine is good. The feed lips of the new replacement magazine have tighter dimensions than the defective mag that came with my Unit 1. Like I said before, it looks like all Marvel polymer magazines are not created equal.
penman53

Marvel Magazines

Post by penman53 »

I have been using the poly mags for over a year with no malfunctions whatsoever. As a matter of fact I only shoot with one guy who uses the metal magazines, the rest use poly. I just bought another Marvel with iron sights and I got poly mags for that also.

Mark, Edmond Ok
Misny

Post by Misny »

Frankly, I like the metal mags for the ability to adjust the feed lips, plus the extra added weight. The metal mags will also stick to the magazine magnets in the gun box. It looks like if you get a good poly mag, then you are good to go.