Any recommended hardball .45 loads?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Erud

Any recommended hardball .45 loads?

Post by Erud »

Going to start shooting some Service Pistol and was wondering if anyone can suggest some good starting loads. I've got a lot of TiteGroup powder, so any loads using that would be extra-great, but I can certainly get other powders. Any bullets that are better than others or any to stay away from? Looking at the 230 grain offering from Precision Delta, as the price looks very good at $116/1000. Anyone use them? How about primers? I figured I'd order some Starline brass....

Thanks,
Erik
Rover

Post by Rover »

A lot of guys like Federal 150 primers. No problem with Starline brass. I can't help you with the bullets and you'll have to do your own testing (since every gun is different) with the powder you have.
Erud

Post by Erud »

Thanks, will check out those primers. I will obviously do my own load testing with my pistol, just looking for suggestions of tried and true accurate hardball loads for Service Pistol. For example, if someone asked me for a good load for Service Rifle, I'd tell them to start with 23 grains of Re-15 or Varget pushing a 77 SMK loaded to mag length and work up until they see pressure signs. Wolf SR Mag primers - no reason to spend any extra on primers. It's a proven load that will work well in most decent NM A2's. Anything like that for a hardball 1911? I just mentioned the Titegroup becaus I already have a lot on hand, but a happy to pick up different powders if others are better suited....

Thanks,
Erik
NCST8

Post by NCST8 »

I have had good luck with 5.2 of VV N320. 4.8 HTG, 4.6 BE, 4.8 WST, etc. all work well. I have been using Zero's 230. I have used precision delta for 9mm hardball. They work great for that.
jackh

Post by jackh »

5.2 of VV N320. And 4.8 HTG are great loads for me. Both go close to the magic 820fps.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

Erud,

Zero 230 grain bullets are well made, 4.8 WST or Titegroup work well for 50 yards. Sierra 8815's are also top notch. For less wear on your gun/barrel practice with 4.4 gr. of WST/HTG behind a lead 230 head at 25yd. Any primer that stays in the brass will work.

Even more than HP rifle, pistol isn't benchrest. Until you can shoot ten 10's slow fire on a 25 yard t/r target your load will not matter. It will be trigger control that opens your group at 50 yards.
Erud

Post by Erud »

That's the kind of info I'm looking for - thanks guys! Will pick up a pound of VV N320 and try it against Titegroup. What's the deal with the Zero bullets? Can I buy them without being a dealer?

Thanks,
Erik
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

yes, you can buy Zero bullets direct from Roze distribution. http://www.rozedist.com/
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

If you are serious about Hardball shooting, buy either Zero or Magnus. I had very poor performance from Precision Delta with 185 swaged bullets and when I complained because I bought 2000 and was told they would be the same as the old star, some woman there said try some now because they are better. First time it was my fault for not asking around and there won't be a second to take a chance on whether they are better. It is possible to sometimes get these bullets to be pretty accurate at slower velocities. 3.9 of Bullseye has been popular since it has been allowed to shoot lower velocity rounds. I even get away with 3.4 of clays for 25 yards.
1911nut

Post by 1911nut »

I got a tip to try Zero bullets over 4.2g N310.

I had groups under 2 inches at 50 yards in a Ransom rest.

It varies from the traditional wisdom that a hardball bullet velocity should be around 830 fps. It feels more like a wadcutter load.

I haven't chronoed this load but it's much lighter than the traditional hardball loads I tried including Winchester white box match hardball.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You can load to any level you want, but you may have a little surprise when they issue you loads that are "full house".

A lttle secret is that you can get at LEAST another 50fps using lead bullets over jacketed with the same powder charge.
bdm

Post by bdm »

Greetings-

I use 230 gr Zero bullets in front of 5.0 grains of Alliant Bullseye with CCI 300 primers for my CMP load.

This is a very traditional load, that works. I worked the powder from 4.3gr up to 5.7 gr and found that 5.0 was the best.

My pistol is a RRA .45 hardball.

Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Thanks again, fellas. I placed an order from Roze for 1k of the 230 gr Zero's and also 1k of new Starline brass. Will try them with the powder and primers I have on hand first and see what kind of results I get and go from there. I'm a pretty decent shot with a rifle, but it's been a few years since I've spent any amount of time with a pistol. Like someone mentioned above, it won't be the load that keeps me from shooting well at this point, so I guess I'll focus on trigger time more than load development for the time being...

Long term goal is a DP badge to go with my DR badge, so I gotta start somewhere!

Thanks,
Erik
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

Use your 230 gr Zeros over 4.8 gr of Titegroup for 50 yards and 4.2 gr for 25 yards. 1.265 OAL, any case and any primer. No sight change needed between 25 and 50 yards. I shot this combo to Distinguished in an old Dinan .45 built on a G.I. frame that dates to 1914. The most important thing to do is practice with what you have. A little luck doesn't hurt either. No specific score is required to get leg points. You just have to shoot better than the the other non-distinguished shooters that day.
Good luck - Dan
Erud

Post by Erud »

marvelshooter wrote:Use your 230 gr Zeros over 4.8 gr of Titegroup for 50 yards and 4.2 gr for 25 yards. 1.265 OAL, any case and any primer. No sight change needed between 25 and 50 yards. I shot this combo to Distinguished in an old Dinan .45 built on a G.I. frame that dates to 1914. The most important thing to do is practice with what you have. A little luck doesn't hurt either. No specific score is required to get leg points. You just have to shoot better than the the other non-distinguished shooters that day.
Good luck - Dan
Now that is some great info - much appreciated. My brass showed up on Friday and bullets got here today - so much for 4-6 weeks from Zero! I will get some rounds loaded with your specs to try out. Hopefully the pistol will be done soon!

Thanks,
Erik
penman53

Hardball Rounds

Post by penman53 »

I shoot 230 grain Zero round nose bullets pushed by 5.3 grains of HP38 Make sure that you crimp the round to .471.
peter s.

Post by peter s. »

Any recommendations for a practice load using a 230gr LRN? I've been training w/ these.

For 230gr FMJ I've been using Neil @ NSK's recommendations..

Bullets 45-230 FMJ RN:
Sierra 8815
Zero
Remington
Winchester

Powders:
Long Line (New Brass, Starline, preferred):
4.2 grs VVN310
4.2 grs Clays
4.6 grs BE
4.8 grs of HTG
4.7 grs S1000