Building or Modifying Anatomical Grips

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

DaFont

Building or Modifying Anatomical Grips

Post by DaFont »

Hello,
I've got a FWB-AW93 and have decided to build new grips for it. Modifying a set I already have is also an option. Are there any to-do pdf's or anything that might give me some guidance? I know there are a lot of ideas and methods out there.
Thanks
DAF
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Although not DIY from scratch type articles, here are some you might find of help:

Modifying Your Pistol's Grip—Part I (Nygord's Notes)

Modifying Your Pistol's Grip—Part II (Nygord's Notes)

Grip Fitting 101 and 102 (pdf by SFC Daryl Szarenski - USAMU International Pistol Team)

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
ruig

Post by ruig »

What I did... and it was enough for me. Recoil is excellent.

http://toz35.blogspot.com/2009/09/revie ... -aw93.html
DaFont

Good Post

Post by DaFont »

This is a great idea! I'm definitely going to expirement with this.
DAF
FredB

Post by FredB »

DAF,

Before you start cutting away, remember that the palm swell is the fitting center of the grip. If the grip you're modifying has a pronounced palm swell, you need to make only those adjustments that will allow you to keep the center of your palm on the center of the palm swell. Otherwise you may end up having to make extensive mods to nearly everything on the grip, and it will probably still never feel right.

How do I know this? I did Ruig's modification on a grip for a Walther GSP, to raise my hand in the grip and get more rake in the grip angle. It accomplished both of those goals, but I have never been able to get it to feel good, because everything else became out of alignment.

Of course if your grip does not have a palm swell, disregard all that I've said.

HTH,
FredB
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

My approach was to make a hack grip with filler etc, then copy onto a decent piece of wood with a copy router - which I made myself.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I'd suggest making grips by laminating - say 1mm thick timber, if you can source it. This makes the inletting much easier, since you can trim each laminate to the frame, etc., before gluing it up.

Laminating also makes the grip strong in the vulnerable area where the wood extends back over the web between thumb and index finger. It seems to be a convention (at least in simple, non-anatomical grips) to have the timber grain running up and down. This makes this area weak, and prone to failure, as in the horror pix on the Matchgun free pistol thread. Unique saw sense, and made the grips for their competition pistols with the grain running fore and aft. I'd suggest you do likewise, if not laminating.

And, of course, JamesH's suggestion can't be beaten, even if you copy using templates and sweat, rather than with a copy router.

Take sensible precautions to avoid inhaling dust - some hardwoods are really nasty, allergenic and carcinogenic.