LEFT HANDED Custom target grips for Ruger MKIII

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mike V

LEFT HANDED Custom target grips for Ruger MKIII

Post by Mike V »

I been searching the web for LEFT HANDED custom grips for a MKIII. The only thing I've found is these Herrett grips, which state they work for the MKII as well as the MKIII !??

http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/ind ... cts_id=312

Anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions where to look elsewhere?

We LEFT HANDED people have it SO HARD!!

Mike V
Misny

Post by Misny »

I've used the Herrett's "Nationals" on a few guns. They were fine for the money, especially if the palm shelf is important to you. I, like many others, started out bullseye shooting with a Ruger. They are fine. IMHO they need a trigger job and better sights, if you are going to shoot irons. I never liked the grip angle when transitioning from the Ruger in the .22 match to the 1911 in centerfire and .45 matches.
jpoulette

Custom left-handed grips

Post by jpoulette »

I believe Rink-Formgriffe makes grips for MKII & MKIII - You can order them through Larry's. They make really good grips.
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

I am new to all this - what is "Larry's" ?
marvelshooter

Post by marvelshooter »

bob v

Post by bob v »

Volquartsen does make a left hand grip for the MRK 3. You'll have to go hunting for some place that has them or can order.....bob v
MSC

Post by MSC »

I don't believe the Volquartsen MKIII grips come in lefty. However I know that when the MKIII's came out, folks used the MKII grips with some Dremel work - I'd guess for the mag release. Here's a great source for Volquartsen parts. MKII lefty grip here:
http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.m ... y_Code=VC2

Nills also makes grips for the MKII (and I'd assume now the MKIII, but you'd have to check). And also Randall Fung. Again, need to verify LH.

Rink, Nill, and Fung are all anatomical wood grips that will be just under, to a little over $200. Much as I appreciate these grips, I could never bring myself to buy them for the Rugers that I've had. Simply because the price was 1/2 - 2/3 that of the gun. The Volquartsens work very well for what they are. They're quite "full", so don't bother if you have a small hand. The Herrett Nationals are also a good grip for the price. On the cheap... Hogue makes a wraparound rubber grip with finger grooves and a thumbrest. No palm shelf on these. But for $20 you can't complain, and they're a big improvement over the standard grips.
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hi Mike V,
I've seen (held) the Herrett's for a model 41 and they're ok, but I haven't seen them for the Ruger. In my experience grips from the same mfg. may be quite different from one brand of gun to another. I did a quick search and you're right, a lot of left handed grips available for the Mark II are not available for the Mark III.

I'd also suggest you get a pair of the left handed Volquartsen grips for the Mark II:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=638037
They're cheap, and you won't feel bad when you drill a hole for the mag release you'll need (I'd actually rather have the original Mark II release, I don't know if the Mark III frames still have the mounting hole, can anyone comment?).

I know how much it sucks to be left handed. I bought a fancy target gun with only left handed grips just so I can say " how do you like it?" when a right handed shooter want's to shoot it (OK, I've got issues...).

I have the left handed Nill grips for a Mark II and they're nice, but pretty big. I took me a few months to get to the point to where I could bear to grind them down to fit. The problem with fitting a real anatomical grip to a gun designed with exposed frame front and back straps is that the minimum grip size to go around the back strap is quite large. I have the same problem with the 1911.

I really like the Rugers though. For a gun that's made with sheet metal and pipe, they're really pretty clever.

Steve.
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

I just ordered a set of left hand Herrett's Nationals for my model 41 for $56.50 delivered. They don't have a website. Their number is 309-289-2700. Great people to deal with for bullseye pistol.
Gil Hebard Guns in IL.
Last edited by mcbrien on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest idaho

Post by guest idaho »

Herrett's does have a web site http://www.herrett-stocks.com/
I am not sure who you ordered your stock from but the phone number is 208 733-1498 in Idaho.

Good luck
dlb

Post by dlb »

That 309 number is Gil Hebard's.
Mike V

"The Shooters Box" - still in business?

Post by Mike V »

I ordered the Herrett's grips from theshootersbox.com, but my order has been stuck in "PROCESSING" for a week! They have not returned any emails, and no one answers the phone.

Are they still in business?

Wondering where my credit card number is, Mike