.44 Spl target load data?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

John Kasaian

.44 Spl target load data?

Post by John Kasaian »

I was thinking of entering a centerfire postal match, but my .38 target pistol is long gone---I do have the use of a .44 Spl but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for loading match ammo for it? Something along the lines of tried and true recipes such as 2.7 grains of Bullseye behind a 148 grain wadcutter (for .38 Spl) or 4 grains of Bullseye behind a 185 grain wadcutter (for .45ACP)? I know at one time .44 Spl was considered quite a target round so there must be something "classic" out there!
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi John,

I have used the old Lyman #429348 wadcutter with good success. This was one of many wadcutters that Lyman offered for the 44 special and Russian. I think this one was one of the most successful. Bullseye loads from 3.5 to 4 gr. work pretty well. Heavier loads with Unique have given great accuracy but leading can be a problem after about 100 rounds.
In both 44 spl and 44 magnum I have had some pretty nice groups.
Are you using a S&W? They seem to be consistently good regarding bore and cylinder throat dimensions.
I'll see if I can find some more details for you.
Cheers,
Jim
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

Thanks Jim,
I'll put that lyman mold on my shopping list. The pistol is a S&W M29. I used to have a 6" Python tricked out with custom grips and it was excellent with 148grain hbwc, but the M29 with .44spl I found to be far more accurate for me, so the Python had to slither off.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi John,
My experience regarding 357 vs. 44 special is much like yours. Too bad 44 is oversize for international CF. It's a lot of fun in the dueling stage.

I've used this bullet with a couple 29s (6" and 8 3/8"). I actually have had really good results in magnum cases with 8.7 or 8.8 gr. Unique. I know that sounds like a bit much for Bullseye, but it is in fact quite gentle and quiet in a 29, certainly much softer than a 45 with hardball. I seat them so the driving band is just below the case mouth, not fully flush.
I see from my notes that I last used 4 gr. bullseye in 44 special cases in my 6'' 29. I made a note to try going down to 3.5 or 3.7 gr.

I hope you have good luck finding one of those molds. It was pretty popular so I don't think it should be too hard to find.
Best regards,
Jim
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

Thank you Jim!