right hand - left eye

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
QUICKBRICK

right hand - left eye

Post by QUICKBRICK »

I have damaged my right eye and am awaiting an op, so at the moment I am not shooting.I will be out of action for several weeks so I decided to shoot (air pistol) through my left eye. Do you think this is advisable to change for a few weeks or could this affect my shooting when my eyesight is better or am I better off staying at home!
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

The situation you describe is called cross dominance. many of us have been shooting that way for years - although it sounds like your condition may be temporary.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, last year I switched over to my right eye just to see what differences I noted. After adjusting my sights, stance, head position and grip, I noticed very little change in my performance.

Based on my own experience only, I dont think you will have any trouble making the transition back and forth whenever you please provided that you first take the time to make the other adjustments which were necessary for me.

I truly hope you make a speedy and full recovery.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

P.S.

If you do not FULLY recover from the injury to your right eye, I would seriously consider another sport. Your vision, especially if it is limited to one eye, is much too valuable to put in peril especially in a high risk activity like shooting.

Just a thought.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

When the cataracts in my right eye began to make shooting difficult---I switched to using the left eye. All I did was shift the occluder to the right eye and the lens and iris to the left eye. Now after a wee bit of practise I adapted quite well to the system. When the cataracts in both eyes were removed and implant lenses installed it took more time & fooling around with various and sundry options to adjust to that situation then it did to the original problem. Hey, I'm 74 and I think you will have less trouble than I did---keep the faith baby.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:P.S.

If you do not FULLY recover from the injury to your right eye, I would seriously consider another sport. Your vision, especially if it is limited to one eye, is much too valuable to put in peril especially in a high risk activity like shooting.

Just a thought.
No disrespect but shooting is not a high risk sport. In actual fact I'd suggest it was one of the lower risk sports you can participate in.

Rob.
sparky

Post by sparky »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:P.S.

Just a thought.
This is an OUTRAGEOUSLY crazy statement. I hope the F. Paul was joking. Shooting one of the safest sports around. Haven't heard of too many folks, tearing tendons and ligaments, breaking bones, or dying at a shooting match, particularly the pedestrian ISSF events. If you take the slightest bit of care (perhaps forgoing the fancy shooting glasses in favor of some Oakleys with polycarbonate lenses), you shouldn't have ANY problem continuing to shoot safely.
I'd worry more about crossing a street.

F. Paul in Denver

Post by Guest »

With all due respect to all of you out there - I was not joking.

My own personal opinion is that an individual with permanent injury to one eye should seriously consider the risk to his remaining eye before engaging in a sport which carries the risks attendant to any endeavor which carries a high risk of eye injury. I believe shooting is one such activity.

I'm not suggesting QUICKBRICK give up this sport or that not doing so is irresponsible. I/m just advocating that he consider the potential risk.

I hope that the whole point is moot and that QUICKBRICK comes back to our sport very soon with TWO very healthy eyes.

Paul
aa2tn

Eye risk ....

Post by aa2tn »

I don't care if I had only one eye, I would not give up shooting. In my opinion there is next to no risk at all. My eyes are safer shooting with
my safety glasses on than at any other time when I don't have them on.
When I think back on all the different shooting activities I have shot in, I cannot ever remember even hearing of someone with safety glasses on being injured. I am sure it has happened, but they also say the dinosaurs were wiped out when an asteroid hit the earth. I don't think I will loose any sleep wondering when the next one will hit !!!