RETIRED SP20

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Steve

RETIRED SP20

Post by Steve »

Life Story

Spring 2002-joined local club
Fall 2002-purchased .32 SP20 with .22 conversion
Spring 2003-replaced .22 barrel shroud. Fireing pin hitting too high
along with high groups.
practice-practice-practice
Fall 2004-replaced recoil buffer screw 3x's by now
-cracked slide
-cracked frame
-replaced slide with new version
-misfires
- replaced .22 barrel, problem fixed
-lighten ejector spring
Current-new frame arrives with modified serial number. Now what????
-new slide cracks
-trigger assembly broken where retaining pin holds it to frame.
-buffer screw broke again

20,000 rounds .22 Eley practice
maybe 10,000 .32 re-loads H&N lead, 1.8gr. 231

I am not sure whether to make a lamp out of it or sell it to some other poor sap.
My dealer has been excellent in helping with these problems and Hammerli did replace everything.
I have two choices to replace this gun. AW93 or Morini. Dealer will sell and service these models only.
Your time and honesty will be greatly appreciated..

Post by Guest »

Sorry to hear about your SP20. I'm sad to say that I know of something similar. A very experienced fellow club member who has been shooting for over 30 years, bought one in 2002 (both .22 & .32 barrels). He had been winding down from top competition and was now enjoying the social side of pistol shooting and simple club competitions. He was thinking that this would be his last major investment in a pistol before he retired from the sport in x years time. Sadly he has had nothing but problems and now faces the purchase of a new trigger unit (at about $400). I notice that he has recently been eyeing up my AW93 somewhat enviously.

What to replace it with?
Morini AP's and FP's may be world class, but too many people have had too many problems with their .22 Standard and .32 Centrefire pistols. You may get a good one, or you may end up with another fishing weight.
The AW93 is utterly reliable, eats just about any kind of ammo, is of a proven Russian design which goes back about 3 decades, and is simply a joy to shoot. The factory grip may not suit everyone, but factory grips never do.
My opinion - No "ifs" or "buts" - get an AW93.
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hi Steve.

Don't even bother thinking about it. Go for the Feinwerkbau AW 93. The only problem will be your budget when buying another new .32 cal. pistol.

Good shooting,
Stratego
Steve

RETIRED SP20

Post by Steve »

Stan,
H&N .313 100gr.

Thanks all. Your replies are most sincerely appreciated.
dmburnett

Post by dmburnett »

What dealer currently handles the AW93?
Steve

RETIRED SP20

Post by Steve »

dm, contact Jocelyn Langlois

Canada Targets www.targets.ca