Toz lateral loading lever.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dsingh

Toz lateral loading lever.

Post by dsingh »

I discussed this with a couple of US shooters at the CDN nationals. Don Nygord made a 'lateral' loading lever for the Tozs that he sold. I am not sure what the exact reasons were but I remember thinking this would improve the balance a little and maybe allow the grip to be pushed forward.( I have smaller fingers and find it hard to reach the trigger).

Does anyone know for what exact reasons Don did this mod. And if someone does have such a pistol and can they please post some pictures ?
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hi dsingh.

Not knowing how Don Nygord's TOZ lateral loading lever was, I've seen a similar system a long time ago. As far as I know its purpose is not to improve the balance but to get the loading easier as the shooter doesn't have to twist the wrist to operate the lever risking to change the gripping. However I've never thought about doing this change on my Toz as someone once told me it would affect negatively the balance.

Despite not having pictures to send you, as far as I can remember what I saw was an extension of the lever upwards so it would rise on the top of the grip between the thumb and the frame's left side.

Greetings,
stratego
FredB

Side-lever TOZ conversion

Post by FredB »

The conversion of the stock bottom-lever TOZ to a side-lever action is a fairly common one. While Don Nygord did many in the US, other gunsmiths around the world have also made conversions. I happen to have one from Australia, where they are called "WOZ" (Was a tOZ), and I love it.

The advantages for me are many: significantly lighter weight, overall balance that suits me better, smoother feeling action, and ability to adapt different grips that provide a more oblique grip angle, which I prefer.

Everything is a trade-off, however, and I don't think many - if any - top-level TOZ FP shooters use side-lever conversions. Perhaps they don't mind the weight, and, since the extra weight is situated well below the hand, perhaps that weight tends to stabilize the gun. Also, I have found it quite difficult to adapt grips to my WOZ, as the inletting required has to be done on a trial-and-error basis.

Sorry, but I am not able to post a picture of my gun. However, there is a picture of one for sale on the Pilk. website.

FredB
dsingh

Post by dsingh »

thanks for the replies folks..

I looked at the Toz that Scott had on Pilkguns. Unfortunately, it shows the view from the right side. Would've been nice to see a pic with the grip removed.

In the meantime I did some milling to lighten out and reshape the triangular metal insert in the grip around the loading lever. There is a lot of excess that can be removed if you use the rink or morini grips. The original grip used the metal to support the plam shelf but the aftermarket ones come with their own embededded support nuts.
stale

Toz special

Post by stale »

You can find pictures for this at www.allermann.de or www.formgriffe.de.
it is not worth the extra cost.
stale
TomF

Post by TomF »

Could you be more specific on the pictures. I cant seem to find them.

Thanks!
EAL22

Post by EAL22 »

On the second or third page of photos for free pistols on Rink grips site they have both styles of Toz levers.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

I have a Nygord side-cocker. The pistol came that way when I bought it used. I find that it is more convenient to load. I don't notice that much difference in balance.

Don took the bolt lever (#60 in the parts list), cut the lever from the bottom of the actuating ears and ground it smooth. Two holes were drilled and tapped in the remaining U-shaped piece for attachment of a machined lever cut to be parallel with the barrel when the breach block is closed. This is the way most side-cockers are made. If this doesn't make sense, then you shouldn't be butchering your pistol. Take it to someone who does. Don also removed the grip base (#66) and ground the rear of the receiver flat. This was done to reduce the weight of the pistol. A side effect of this removal is to make it harder to get a good fit from grips like the one from Rink. If one doesn't need the weight reduction, leaving most or all of the grip base will make things easier. Inletting a new grip is pretty straight forward with todays epoxy bedding compounds like Brownells Acraglas.

Larry
dsingh

Post by dsingh »

thanks for the replies once again. The pictures at Rink and the great text description from funtoz really helped. I have decided the keep the lower loading lever. As I mentioned I did mill out some extra metal so the pistol is about 80 gms lighter. Also ground out the grip at the top wedge between the thumb and index finder to improve the centre of gravity a bit ( I liked balanced pistols as opposed to nose heavy ) .