Counter weight, what is it for?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mcmoura

Counter weight, what is it for?

Post by mcmoura »

Dear fellows, there're some silly questions that I must ask.
1) What are the counter weights for in 10m air pistols?
2) How they help in shooting?
3) How to use them correctly?
4) Does the adjustment vary during a competition?
Thanks a lot
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I assume you mean weights associated with the barrel ? The reason people use them (and others don't) is purely a personal thing. Some people prefer a front heavy gun whereas others like a more 'balanced' gun. There is no one best method, it's down to what suits the shooter. Try different weights and positions and use what feels comfortable and gives best results.

Rob.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Some pistols can have a very light front end and depending on the individual you may see your front sight moving around more depending on the pistol you are shooting. As you might guess that can be a bad thing. Adding some weight at the front end can help slow it down and for some people will minimize it completely. it is a very personal thing.

you may even find that after adding weight on the front your front end seems heavy and you are out of balance. You may then need to add some weight to the grip to balance your pistol.

i would not add any weight to your pistol unless you think you need to balance the pistol or slow down some movement.
mcmoura

Post by mcmoura »

Dear fellows. I was traveling, so please forgive me for this late reply.

Thanks a lot Chris and Rob for answers.

I'll try to become a bit more consistent related to my shooting technique before trying any counter wiegth.