hand pumps

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

imnorris

hand pumps

Post by imnorris »

Is there anyone with hand pump experience, and if so is it worthwhile or does it take forever to fill a tank?
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Search for "hand pump" and you will find a great deal of info.

My take, if you shoot rifle a lot, get a tank. If you weigh less than 160lbs, get a tank. If you are lazy, get a tank. If you don't fit any of the above catagories, then get what you want. It is not hard to pump up a tank in a few minutes, but it is harder than pumping a bicycle tire.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

Not to influence your decision, but if you decide to get a hand pump, get more than 1 cylinder for the gun. Always, fill both cylinders at least two hours (roughly) prior to a match. Pumping is MUCH MUCH more difficult than pumping up a 35 PSI bicycle tire. You don't run a 5 minute mile immediately prior to shooting either...... Not that bad, but it's a workout.

Just my $0.02

Mike
Wichita KS
TWP

Post by TWP »

I'm a parent of a shooter and a coach.

I wouldn't let my kids pump a tank before a match. I get lots of exercise pumping tanks for kids that forget to fill up before the match.
cbpersel

hand pump

Post by cbpersel »

I use a hand pump exclusively and it works superbly. Yes, it takes some effort, but is not difficult. I have two cylinders for my pistol and keep the spare filled. Just pump them up while watching the news. No problem.
lucky

hand pumps

Post by lucky »

Thank to all of you for the good advice on my previous inquireries.A new one. Exactly how hard is it to use a hand pump to charge pca air pistols,everyone says its a workout, come on do you have to be a hercules to use one.
RJP

Air pump workout

Post by RJP »

About 100 to 120 waist bends will fill a cyclinder. It is not really stressful, but you do have to put your upper body weight into the down stroke. Straightening back up is what wears me out. I have to stop about half way to rest up a few minutes. You definately do NOT want to pump up a cyclinder before shooting. If you have to, wait about an hour or two after pumping before you start shooting.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

Generally each stroke will pump enough air into the cylinder for about 2-3 shots, for a 60 shot pratice, 20-25 stroke will top up the cylinder again, its harder to pump than a bicyle pump due to the fact the pressure inside is 3000psi, the last 3-4 inches of the down stroke is the hardest.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would agree it isn't easy but the knack is in using your weight to compress the cylinder in a fluid movement. You should deffinately not do it close to shooting.

Rob.

Post by Guest »

The folks I know that use a pump say to get your cylinders initially filled with a tank, then just keep topping off with the hand pump. That way you do not have to exercise so much.
funtoz

Post by funtoz »

As someone else mentioned, you should get 2 to 3 shots per stroke.

Hard? Not at all. I asked a similar questions before I got mine and was concerned that I might not be able to do it. At 56, and after having piloted a desk for over 25 years, I do not find that it takes a great deal of effort. Certainly not so much that I couldn't do an emergency fill and still shoot a match.

If you travel and want to be able to still shoot, a pump is much easier to transport. You might also check into whether or not it is going to be possible for you to even make use of a tank. They have to be periodically inspected and filled by someone. In some places it is a hassle to get a tank filled unless you are dive certified.

LArry
Mikey

Which hand pump to buy?

Post by Mikey »

Now the tough question which are the better brands of pumps and where is the best place to get them from.

I am after one that will fill a Feinwerkbau P30 200 bar air pistol and a Walther 200/300bar air pistol.

Mikey
terrypchan

Re: Which hand pump to buy

Post by terrypchan »

That's an easy one in the USA, from our sponser of course! Pilkguns sells the Hill Hand Pump and I've used it to fill a FWB P34, Morini 162EI, and Walther LP300. The Hill Pump is currently the only one with an available "Dry-Pac", for those really worried about the air being too moist. Most air pumps are only rated for 200 bar with some at 250 bar. None will do 300 bar for your Walther 300 bar cylinder.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Just for the hell of it, I tried filling a completely empty cylinder with the pump. It's a helluva workout for sure. My wife said she never saw me breath so hard since . . . well . . . nevermind.

I've got the Hill pump purchased from Pilkington and am extremely happy with it. I use the it only while travelling or to top off a cylinder that I could only partially fill with a SCUBA tank.

Life's too short- get a tank AND a pump. You will have no trouble reselling either if you change your mind.
cbpersel

Post by cbpersel »

I must be the rare person who does not find using a hand pump difficult. About 30-35 pumps is sufficient for 100 shots. Just go slowly and use your body weight. I only weigh 155 lbs. and it is not a problem as long as you don`t do it just prior to a match.
Fabian

Pump

Post by Fabian »

I just don't know if it is my pump...Gelhman. It's really easy to fill a cylinder with it, thirty pumps will do for 120 shots. No real effort.

Post by Guest »

If you want to hear a few snyde remarks, just pump your cylinder in the presence of other shooters. "Heart Attack Stick", sneers and other comments will abound.

I'm 62 and wouldn't think twice about filling my cylinder 15 minutes before shooting. Your pulse and breathing rate is increased some, but you should recover in minutes. As was said previously, you soon learn the proper way to use you weight during the last few inches of the stroke. Not hard at all. But I agree that kids and 98 pounders will find pumping difficult.

After reading some of these comments, I have decided to make pumping up my cylinder a part of my pre-match stretching and warm-up routine.
Strayshot

the handpump versus the tank

Post by Strayshot »

I have a 10 litre 300 bar scuba tank (with optional pressure regulator) And I have an Axxor handpump (floorpump). I do not like to use the pump too often.
My bodyweight is moderate, so I use my pump this way: By bending my torso over the pump, with streight arms, I use my leg muscles to pump the gun. Holding arms and torso steady, just bending my knees. It is much less exhausting than bending the torso.

To those of you that do not have one yet: Get a tank!

And,- do not stray your shots!

Post by Guest »

How do you properly refill a cylinder without letting in moisture. I was told to bleed the valve, does that mean after I fill the cylinder I am suppose to loosen the valve and then remove the cyliner?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

You're not the rare person, I don't find it any real big deal either.