Tuning the shooter too

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Bubba

Tuning the shooter too

Post by Bubba »

Been having some trouble with angina, for the second time in the last two years. My cardiologist decided that we needed to do an angiogram to see what had changed. Found some blockage and put in a stint on 11-11-04. on the evening of 11-12-04, I tried a little 40 shot practice match at my home range. My average has been right at 84%, on 11-12-04 i shot the 40 shot session with an averae of 87.25%, using my trusted Steyr LP-1C.

The angina I was experiencing showed up after moderate exertion. For instance walking about 1/4 mile, I would be in enough pain that I would stop for a minute or two, and the angina would subside to a tollerable level, and I could proceed for a while before it re-occurred.

Angina is caused by restricted flow of blood. I never had a problem with any chest pain while shooting, so I did not consider it a problem in that area. But, since there is restricted blood flow and bloodd carriies oxygen to the brain, may be that a restricted blood flow, even if it does not present a symptom, may affect the shooter's ability. Time will tell.

So, as if the selection of a pistol, and amunition weren't enough, we also have to factor in the failings of the carbon based life form our spirits inhabit on this earthly plain.

Respectfully,
Bubba
AKA Dan Hankins
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Don't lose hope, all is well, you are still shooting right? I went through a quad by-pass in 2000 after surviving bladder cancer and all I can say is that I still shoot as badly (or as well) as before. I don't think that micro sized stent is going to affect your shooting. I had emergency surgery in the Midwest (Madison Wisconsin) and the good surgeon said I could go home and play the piano again I said to my departed wife " listen honey, what a doctor---I can now play the piano" she started to laugh and this strait laced mid-westerner looked at me in surprise- (PS I never ever played the piano efore or after the surgery). Anyhoo, laugh it off and be glad you're still shooting. If I shoot a 456 in FP or a 501 in AP---these are gold medal scores IMHO---at 74 I'm glad to be able to hold 'em that well. Keep on Shooting chum.
Helen

Post by Helen »

Please do what you're told to do, by the Dr.'s, do what you have to do. We want to keep someone like you in our "community". Glad things were caught in time.
Barry Markowitz

Other heart related...Bubba

Post by Barry Markowitz »

Bubba...so they told me that I haven't slept for the past 30 years and that my heart was at risk because I was receiving only 67% of the oxygen it required...a Sleep Apnea thing. ..no more than 18 seconds of sleep at a time with no "longwave" sleep. So two days ago I got "cured" techy apparatus. The "cure" has made a major impact on my life...no occassional tightness in the chest , no more frequent fatigue, etc. They told me if I did not address this situation that my heart would have had permanent damage. So supposedly my improved metabolism will help me automatically burn up some extra gut weight. Any of you correct your Sleep Apnea with apparatus, and did it help or have any affect on your shooting? Living in the rural North Shore/Country of Oahu, Hawaii, historically we are not commonly familiar with Apnea or its treatment. I would really like to hear your experiences.
Bubba

Guest reply

Post by Bubba »

Dear guest,
Your reply to Barry's post was most unkind. Perhaps you and Barry are friends and this is just friendly chiding. I hope that is all. If not, I think you could be a bit more diplomatic.

The restoration of blood flow, rich in oxygen, to the heart is a good thing. I don't think it is the whole thing though. If you are obese, and I am, you really need to loose weight. Guest pointed that out, in his own way.

I think my downward spiral started with taking up the shooting sport, and giving up sailing. Sailing can be hard work, and good exercise. Especially if you are not satisfied with less than the best you and the boat can do. I used to delight in wearing out young guys in good physical strength. They did it themselves, by trying to show their strength, especially in a tacking duell up wind. After they were worn out, my wife, who is not really in shape wpuld take over while they recovered. She knew how to use a winch and the timing of the sheet adjustment in coordination with the load on the sheet. And when to hand over the winch handle to me for the final adjustment.

I single handed a 36' Hunter sail boat often, and gave sailing lessons in the form of a two day course for beginners on 22' Catalina sailboats. Even these smaller boats can be a work out. Raced as crew usually jib trimmer or helmsman on some race boats. And could work the fore deck on spinaker runs and launches, but only if the fore deck guy did not show up. Don't swim and have a small problem with balance. Don't need to swim if you do everything right.

Point is that I got to shooting and became obsessed with shootng to the point of the exclusion of exercise. Bad, sailor. Physical condition is much more important than I had thought.

Thanks to all who responded with good wishes. I am on track and have plans to exercise for the purpose of improving my shooting abilities. And sailing may be a part of that program, as well as bicycleing. Got a few sitting around that are just gathering dust.

I look to achieve balance in life. That seems to be the key to health, as long as some physical thing does not screw up the plan. Then you just have to make up another plan.

This is getting too long and too personal to be of interest to the board, and I apologize for the rambelings. I will not mention this subject again, until I have some positive feed back, or some insigth that might be of nterest to the board.

I remain,

Respectfully,
Bubba
Hawaiian Dude

Post by Hawaiian Dude »

...deleted...
Hawaiian Dude, your IP address will be banned next time...