Best Buy: LP10/LP2 vs. Morini 162MEI ??????

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DavidO.

Best Buy: LP10/LP2 vs. Morini 162MEI ??????

Post by DavidO. »

I made a mistake. I read every review on the above APs in targettalk including the archives. I'm more confused than before. I think the LP2 has its advantages along with the LP10 and Morini. I also read a number of problems including trigger issues with the LP10. There are a number of pros and cons with each. You've heard this question before, but I have to ask:

In comparison to all of the above which one has been the favored among buyers, which has presented the best performance with little or no problems?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

There are no major problems with any of those guns providing that they suit you. Steyr and Morini are two of the most respected air pistol manufacturers around.

They will all shoot better than you can. Choose the one that you feel happiest with.

I cannot remember seeing reports of anyone using an LP2 in a major international. That could be that the balance/weight doesn't suit someone who has the muscle tone required for that level of shooting. Having said that, not many of us are at that level.

If you choose one of these guns based on other peoples recomendations then you could be disappointed. If you choose the one that feels best to you then I am pretty sure that you will have an accurate and reliable gun.

Re: Best Buy: LP10/LP2 vs. Morini 162MEI ??????

Post by Guest »

David there is very little risk in buying either. Even if you do not like the gun you bought, you can easily sell it and only take a minor hit in the pocket book. Personally I think you are selling your IZH short and would just stick with that and enter competition with it before spending more but that is what I would do if I wanted to compete in 10 meter. If you can not get you IZH scores up to the 550 level no gun on the market is going to make you competitive. Read Warren Potters story, it is very informative.
DavidO. wrote:I made a mistake. I read every review on the above APs in targettalk including the archives. I'm more confused than before. I think the LP2 has its advantages along with the LP10 and Morini. I also read a number of problems including trigger issues with the LP10. There are a number of pros and cons with each. You've heard this question before, but I have to ask:

In comparison to all of the above which one has been the favored among buyers, which has presented the best performance with little or no problems?
fjoder

LP10/LP2

Post by fjoder »

The LP 10 are more ergonomic. Which could mean that it is a litle easier to score an 10 with the LP10 than with the LP2.
The Morinis have earned a reputation for good triggers. That was the mecanical triggers, which I prefer.

A Steyr trigger, right out of the box, is usually not set up perfecly for match shooting following my opinion. Sear overlap is a bit long, and the weight of the "second stage" is a bit heavy. You will often need to have some very knowledgeable person to "tune" the trigger setup for you.
But when done correctly, a good Steyr trigger will be close to a good mecanical Morini trigger.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I have not heard of trigger issues with the LP10, apart from people preferring the (electronic) trigger on the morini. As David mentioned you need to find which gun best suits you and choose accordingly. Both guns are used on the world stage and are more than capable of exceptional scores.

Rob.
David Levene

Re: Best Buy: LP10/LP2 vs. Morini 162MEI ??????

Post by David Levene »

DavidO. wrote:I also read a number of problems including trigger issues with the LP10.
Just a thought, you aren't thinking of the reported trigger problems on the LP5/LP50 are you. These aren't really problems, just comments that the trigger is not as good as on top class single shot pistols. These comments do not apply to the LP10 which is one of those top class pistols (as is the 162)
JohnK

My LP10

Post by JohnK »

I have owned my LP10 for nearly 5 years.
There have been absolutely no mechanical issues whatever.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.
Good luck!
JLK
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

Thank you to everyone for responding. The forum has been very helpful in resolving many specific and general concerns about air pistols and the sport. Good luck to all.
Talbs

Steyr lp10

Post by Talbs »

Hi David,
I bought a brand new Steyr LP10 (Compressed Air) after doing the same as you.
Annoyed people with continuous questions, trawled the internet etc etc.

I love it. I adjusted the trigger because I have short fingers and that is all I have done so far. My scores went from 480 to 540 over a month of practice with it and I am now consistent at 540. I know what I have to do to improve and it certainly isn't anything to do with the Steyr.

Isn't the LP2 a lighter weight pistol?

By the way, the LP10 pistol looks so cool as well. I have the silver one.

Cheers
airpistolero

The Matchguns MG1

Post by airpistolero »

Hi, guys.

There is another kid in town. The Matchguns MG 1. I have fired this gun for over a year, and I have started to really love that gun. Nicely balanced, a very crisp mecanical trigger. And it gives the same relaxing feel a good free pistol does. I will say it balances more like a TOZ 35.

The pellet velocity of this gun considerably higher than other match air pistols. The benefit is a shorter residence time of the pellet in the barrel. Which means there is shorter time to do errors, that can bring the impact off center.
I advice you to try this one out too. Maybe you will get hooked.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

The LP10 has had several trigger problems with cocking lever, sear and consistency of trigger weight. Fortunately in UK we have a good Steyr service agent who has fixed the ones that have failed and also completed some very nice trigger set-ups.

I sold my LP10 and kept my 162EI although I know others who have done opposite.

LP2 is lighter weight and shorter overall length. Far better as a trainer for 25m ISSF/bullseye pistol than the LP10/LP1.

I have an LP5 and no matter what we do to the trigger, the is only so much that can be done with a “sows ear”!
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

I went ahead and sold my Baikal IZH 46M for what I paid for it and bought an LP10 yesterday. I live overseas so getting back what I paid for my AP was easy. I will make sure to send an email on my thoughts about the LP10. The guys at the range are as excited as me to see and actually handle it. Rhonda at Pilkington was very nice, honest and professional, and it really merits mentioning that especially when you are a worry wart about spending more than a grand. Warren Potter was also excellent to talk to about specific novice questions about the APs. I heard he no longer works there, his wife found a job elsewhere. For the Baikal owners, it is a great beginner AP, no problems with it and it worked flawlessly. I could have probably hung on to it a bit longer, but like most, I just knew I wanted a higher end AP. I'll send a comment later on the LP10 when I've handled it for a while. Good luck to all.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

for the record, Warren ist still a part of Pilkguns, he has just moved locations. His wife Denise has taken a 3 month traveler job in the Northwest, so Warren will be answering the phone from a different location, thats all.

Post by Guest »

pilkguns wrote:for the record, Warren ist still a part of Pilkguns, he has just moved locations. His wife Denise has taken a 3 month traveler job in the Northwest, so Warren will be answering the phone from a different location, thats all.
My apologizies to Pilkguns, but it is good to know Warren is still part of Pilkguns.
Axel

Post by Axel »

I thought about a LP10, LP2 and a Morini 162 El. I finaly bought a Steyr LP10. All I can say is that it's awesome, I can't imagine a better pistol than Steyr LP10.
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

I received the LP10 a few days ago and I am also very impressed with the AP. Mine came with the LP1 trigger and the LP10 trigger was sent later by Pilkerton. I decided to stick with the LP1 trigger for now. First observation, it has a great finish to it, very light, and easy to operate.
1. The loading of the pellet: very easy, the Baikal was much more difficult. The pellet slips into the barrel very nicely without any pressure.
2. The balance and trigger was very nice.
3. The shots, I was all over the black in the beginning, but I did notice after a while much more tighter groups. I still need to get use to the light weight of the LP10.
4. The price, for what I see know and the service provided, no regrets.

I don't regret buying the baikal first, its a great beginner AP and it made me appreciate the higher end AP. So far I have had no problems with the LP10. I will send another reply in a month or so after I have shot it more or at least in a informal competition at my AP range.
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

After speaking with Warren, the trigger shoe that appears to be the LP1 is actually a newer version installed by Steyr approximately five to six months ago on their Lps. As I pick up bits of information or corrected in my case, I try to pass it on.
Keep It In The Middle

Post by Keep It In The Middle »

Up until April this year, I have owned a succession of good air pistols starting from an FWB P30 to a Hammerli 480K & a FWB P34. These produced an average score for me in the mid 550's up to the occasional 560+.

Since April when I purchased a new Steyr LP10, my average match score has jumped into the 560 to 565 area, with an upward trend.

For me the factory trigger setting was perfect, apart from needing a little extra weight to pick up the 500g check weights. Other than that they are untouched to this day.

One thing that was needed when it was new, was an increase in the factory set velocity as it was roughly 100ft/sec slower than every other LP10 that we ran through the chronograph. It was a fairly obvious problem as it was tearing the edges of the holes in the target but was easily rectified. Haven't seen any other LP10's with this happening yet...
DavidO.

Post by DavidO. »

I've had the LP10 for more than a few weeks, shot over 1000 pellets and my score is in the low 500s, but with time I am confident I can bring it up. The light weight of the pistol with no recoil actually helps you get through the 60 pellet course and more. I am enjoying the pistol every minute, it was worth the wait and price.