What brand/weight pellets do you shoot?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

What is your preferred pettet

Poll ended at Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:16 pm

RWS Heavy
22%
RWS Light
4%
H&N Heavy
No votes
H&N Light
22%
Vogel Heavy
30%
Vogel Light
9%
Nygord Precision Pellets
13%

Total votes: 23

Tom Bowen

What brand/weight pellets do you shoot?

Post by Tom Bowen »

I shoot a Steyr LP1 and use the Nygord Precision Pellets but am interested to see what others have come to prefer for their Air Pistols.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

The JSB (Josef Schultz Bohumin) line is missing in the poll, they´re what I´m using.
In a previously owned morini, lightweight pistol match (green box), and in my current steyr lp5 the heavier rifle match (orange box).

Regards
Anders
Tom Bowen

Post by Tom Bowen »

Anders,

Sorry about the ommission of the OSBs, thats a brand I've never heard of here in the United States.

After I set up the poll I realized I should have put an "Other" listing in the selections but it wouldn't allow me to alter the responses.

Tom
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

Hi

I also shoot the JSB pellets.

I have carried out some bench testing of the pellets and I found that the 4.48 and 4.49 JSB pellets out performed (via group size) the equivalent sized H&N pellets in my gun (Steyr LP10). The 4.50 pellets gave groups that were similar in size.

I have not done any testing of R10 since supplies of said pellet are very difficult to obtain.

The 4.48 JSB pellets returned the most consistant velocities (+/- velocity spread). H&N pellets gave larger velocity spreads - possible source of the large group sizes - high & low shots.

This turned out to be an interesting exercise for my gun and myself. I am confident that the pellet / pistol combination if fine.

Well thats one variable eliminated but I think some bench testing on the "Nut behind the Butt" is required next !!!!

Swordfish
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

The subject of which brand/size/ weight pellet to use in my air pistol is probably the one that we waste the most time on the phone trying to explain to people. Look at the size of the ten ring on an AP target, and then look at the size of the group being shot. THE WORST PELLET/ BARREL COMBINATION WILL STILL HOLD THE 10 RING BY FAR. Can you hold the 10 ring every shot? Until you can don't even think about worrying about pellets. The pellets are that accurate!!! (assuming you are talking about match pellets like listed in the poll, to include JSBs. To do otherwise is putting the cart before the horse. Its analogous to worrying about putting 155 mph speed rated tires versus putting 167 mph speed rated tires on a Ford Taurus that will only do 120 mph on flat ground with a 30 mph tail wind.

for the record, light versus heavy discussion in modern air pistols is also moot. If you are using a CA or CO2 then shoot the heavys. the lights were left over when AP technoolgy did good to break 400 fps

also, IMO the Nygord pellets should be on the same line as the H&N pellets unless you think the green and gold sticker makes them shoot better
aurorapolice02_11

I agree!!!

Post by aurorapolice02_11 »

I agree 100% with Pilkguns. I only considered testing my airgun after Erich suggested it to me prior to the Sydney games. Even after all the testing, my group size only decreased by a small amount.

It did however put my mind at ease by showing me my gun was in top working condition. Any bad shots were my fault, which I knew already, it just made it more obvious.

I bet even the pointed pellets from Wal Mart would do a decent job, but I would not use them in a Word Cup!! ; )

Scott and Warren know the sport of shooting very well and have been around for a long time. Their advise should be considered some of the best you can get.

Mike Douglass
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Pellet poll

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

R-10 heavies
Tony. C.

Post by Tony. C. »

I also agree with Pillguns, but we shooters like to tinker with our shooting iron, trying to squeeze out every last bit of performance, thats part of the fun. If someone willing to spent time to test pellet, that thier choice, however I'll suggest another way to check to see if your pellet is best for your pistol. By all means bench rest or clamp your pistol in a vise to test pellet group size, after you make your choice, pick up a tin of that pellet and another tin of so-so pellet, tape up the label on the tin. or better yet give them to a friend of yours, he/she will put the pellets into 2 different containers, hand them back to you, not telling you which one is which, now you go pratice with them, record the scores, when the pellets all gone, check the label, check the score, you get the idea. this way, just like they do blind taste test with softdrinks or new drugs, should give you a more realistic reult. Have I done this? No, because awhile back, I load pellets into my CM162 backward on purpose, easy to do with that pistol, I can still shoot 10 with them as long as I do my part, if pellet loaded tail first can still shoot 10, I guess size and weight just wasn't that important.