Is the book Successful Pistol Shooting by Leatherdale...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike D.

Is the book Successful Pistol Shooting by Leatherdale...

Post by Mike D. »

... worth buying? Who would benefit from it? What other books are best for a new UIT/International pistol shooter interested in all shooting disciplines?

- Mike D.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I have the book and I find it quite good. It doesn't cover everything but then neither does any other shooting book. I would suggest it's a worthwhile addition to your shooting library though.

Rob.
thenikjones

Post by thenikjones »

It's worth a read - just got the latest edition on eBay - but if you can find it, "Succesful pistol Shooting" by Laslo Antal is better IMO. They cover a lot of the same ground - as you'd expect - I think Antal goes into better detail. I have seen it quite often on eBay. I bought both when I started shooting and got more from the Antal book.

Another eBay regulart is by Hans Standl (can't remeber the title) which goes much more into the psycology side of things.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

thenikjones wrote:Another eBay regulart is by Hans Standl (can't remember the title) ............
Pistol Shooting As A Sport
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I have Leatherdale's book. I learned a lot from it, on how to stand etc. It also goes into various types of pistol shooting sports which is nice but a bit dated. The Leatherdales were both big in British Pistol shooting, now it's pretty much illegal.

Definitely buy it used, worth say under $30.

Mike
Wichita KS
Alex L

Is the book Successful......

Post by Alex L »

In my personal library, I have a number of books on Pistol shooting, which I find are still worthwile reading.
1)Competitive Shooting, by A.A Yur'Yev (English translation published by the National Rifle Assn of America). It is a few years old, now.
2)Mental Training for Shooting Success, by Richard L. Domey. Ph.D. I have the 1989 edition. It is a paperback, spiral bound. I have found it still has a lot of relevant matter in it.
3) Competitive Pistol Shooting, by Dr. Laslo Antal
4)Pistol Shooting by Laslo Antal & Ragnar Skanaker, foreword by Marv Epling, special article by Frank Briggs.

All these books have been given to me, or purchased here in Australia, but I expect they can be aquired overseas as well, as they are published overseas.

They are all very good to read, and I have found them very helpful. I am sure there are other new books now available.
I have not read the Leatherdale book, but I might put it on my Xmas wish list!
If you manage to read all these books, I can see you will end up in the Olympics!
Good Luck, Alex L.
dave_ayl

Post by dave_ayl »

Paul Leatherdales book is good but is now getting a little bit dated, but still worth a read.

If you live in the UK I would recommend that you go on one of Tom Redhead's pistol training days organised by the NSRA, it is money well spent.

David
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

dave_ayl wrote:Paul Leatherdales book is good but is now getting a little bit dated, but still worth a read.
Hi

Actually, Paul Leatherdales book is a little more than dated. He was the UK pistol champ. He may not have been the last one, but if I remember correctly, the UK can't own pistols anymore anyway.

Really a good book for the basics of stance, and of most pistol sports.

Mike
Wichita KS
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike,
We, in the UK, still use air pistols and now the 5-shot events are done with the air equivalents (LP5 etc). We also have fairly recently re-acquired free pistols (albeit UK spec), which are compliant with the ISSF rules.

Perhaps it's time for someone to write a new book on pistol shootings since I think they are all quite dated - which is not to say most of it doesn't still apply.

Rob.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

REALLY glad to be wrong.

Mike
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hi Mike,

I've been gathering ISSF shooting books for some years now, and I believe I must have read most of what has been published about the subject, at least in Europe.

Generally speaking these books all say the same as they all tend to teach the basic techniques along with a shooting events description. The difference between them is mainly on how they present it.

Still these books are interesting as they are made for shooting initiation and so they don't tend to stress readers with a lot of information they can't profit at a starting level. Paul Leatherdale's is one of them and it worths reading despite my preference going to Antal/Skanaker «Pistol Shooting».

Having read any of these books you can then go for «Competitive Shooting» by A. A. Yur'yev. This is the bible on olympic pistol and rifle shooting techniques as it says almost every thing you can learn from such a book.

So if you can, start with some title like Leatherdale's or Antal/Sakanaker's and them go to A. A. Yur'yev's.

These books are a very good source of information, however you can't be a top shooter just on reading. You can take that for granted.

Good reading and better shooting,
Stratego