Score 530 after two months.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
colinh

Score 530 after two months.

Post by colinh »

I got the LP10 two months ago, and have been practicing about 100 shots a day in my garage. I was quite happy to hit 530 on Saturday and 529 on Sunday. It took me 40 minutes for each 60 shots including the target changing time. 10 shots per target sheet.

I got too excited and shot about 400 rounds on Sunday, and my elbow really hurts this morning. Not surprising, my score drops to 500 this morning. Needs to get more rest and go back again. Any comment or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Colin
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Recommendation:

I am in complete agreement with your elbow - SLOW down.

100 rounds per day for 2 months even with weekends off sounds like overtraining. It's very easy to be seduced into too much shooting when you get a new gun and the improvement curve is very steep. We've all been there. It's even more common with AP since you can do it so conveniently at home.

Your elbow is telling you something and you should listen carefully.

40 minutes per 60 shots sounds very fast considering you are allowed 105 minutes at a match. Spend a bit more time thinking about your shot plan and preparing for each shot - most people find their scores will continually improve.

Take care and don’t lose that enthusiasm!!
nano

shot too fast

Post by nano »

More recomendations:

your score is very, very good for 2 months, I congratulate you.
I suggest to shoot slowly, you should use completely the 105 minutes.
I recommend to separate the 105 minutes in 7 spaces of 15 minutes each one.
in the first 15 minutes make the test shots and later one series every 15 minutes.

nano
JoeG

slowing down

Post by JoeG »

Among the most valuable things I learned was to slow down (I also shot very quick matches) and learning to put the gun when the shot doesn't seem right. I used to have the hardest time doing the "put the gun down, don't force this shot" routine. I eventually learned to be able to and that has been a big benefit for my shooting (and scores). As mentioned above, the curve can be quick at the beginning and is very rewarding. Don't fret when you hit the plateaus either, just keep doing things the best way you can. Eventually you will improve some more and gain even greater consistency. One of the tricks to doing well is to try to do every shot the same and to concentrate just on the shot at hand. Good luck and keep enjoying, the fun should always be a part of it. Joe G.

Thanks for advice

Post by Guest »

Thank you all the advice. I have slowed down to 60 minutes per 60 shots. I need to slow down further, if my schedule permits.
colinh

Score 544 after 3 months.

Post by colinh »

I attended my first PTO match last Saturday in San Mateo, CA., and I was very surprised to get 530 which was my best score at home so far. During the match, I took 80 minutes to shoot and was really focused on every shot. I usually took 30 to 40 minutes to do 60 shots at home. After the match, something clicked inside and I didn't know what it was. Trigger felt different. After I got up this morning, I just shot 10 shots and I got 94 without any warm up. I then had the urge to check the 60-shot score. Due to the time constraint, I only had 40 minutes to shot. The scores were: 94, 90, 89, 88, 92, 91= 544. I used to think 530 was my plateau. Now I wonder how high can I get? Any comment or similar experience?

Colin
stratego

Post by stratego »

Hello!
Congratulations! After 2 months 530 is indeed a good score. However, like the other posters said you're shooting too fast and too often. That's why your elbow is suffering. Your shoulder could be next.
Anyway I understand you as when I started shooting I use to do the same. However, your goal must be to take good shots instead of many shots. It's not necessary to do a complete 60 shot string every time. It's more important to improve the 10 ring hits average with less shots in each training session. Spreading 60 shots all over the target everyday just won't do.
Besides, with such a routine you can take two important risks: you can get phisically overtrained, and probably worse you can get fed up with shooting.
So my advice is to slow down your daily shooting and concearn about your stance, your focusing on the sights and you trigger control. These phases are of most importance and should take a good part of your training plan. If you do this more often you'll probably see your scores going up fast towards 560's marks within a year.
Best of luck from Portugal,
Stratego
ky_air_pistol

Post by ky_air_pistol »

im just getting started in this sport and after reading this thread i am wondering what a good scedual for shooting is. i had plan on shooting at least 4 days a week if not five when i get home (deployed so the gun is at the house) and have a chance to start. plan on shooting some Postal matches next year, and depending on how im doing im might try to sneek in a couple live matches as well.