Short shooting. Sorry, don't know what else to call it

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cc west

Short shooting. Sorry, don't know what else to call it

Post by cc west »

Hello everyone

This is my first post and I'm a complete newb, so plz be kind :) Quick note- Mr. Emmons letter was awe inspiring. Great man and truly makes me proud to be an American! Sure, the Gold Medal is great, but his sportsmanship and class is the true embodiment of the term Champion, in my mind.

I have yet to take the plunge into match shooting, but want to very much. For the last 2 weeks I have been reading posts here and have learned a great deal, (still stupid but gaining on it :). My problem stems from shooting at 10m. I currently have no viable space to set up for 10m, ie. 32.5'. Nor do I have access to a shooting range. My thought is to shorten the field to say 20' or so (sorry, I don't know the meter equivalent off the top of my head) and then reduce the size of my target to fake a 10m setup. I'm no math genius and therefore don't know the formula to use to reduce the target size to correspond, but a friend of mine is and he could figure it out. My concern is that while this could give the illusion of being 10m away from target, the pellet is still 177 in size, and therefore scoring is moot. This may be a lame brain idea for quite a few reasons that I haven't even thought of, but I really want to try this sport out and can't seem to get past that 10m length problem. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. I just want to send out a personal THANK YOU to Mr. Pilkington and staff for this site. I have been Googling my butt off trying to get as much info on competition AP and AR as possible and this is by far the BEST site out there. Great Job!!! I can't wait to do business with Pilkguns. Everyone here says the same thing about quality, care, and personal service concerning Pilkguns. Kind of a no brainer.

cc
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

If you go to the high noon postal match web site he has the reductions on it. You can score reduced targets, but i beleive the lowest ring touched is what the score is (not the highest as as in a normal target).
cc west

Post by cc west »

Richard-

Thank You Very Much!

cc
Terry

Post by Terry »

If upu go to this site:

http://www.scatt.com/eng/software.htm

and download the SCATT software, under tools you can print a number of targets adjusted for different distances.

Terry
JPOC

Reducing Targets

Post by JPOC »

Hello "cc",

I believe that the Scatt, Rika, and Noptel functions to print "reduced" targets do the reduction to only provide the same *visual* look at the reduced distance. All "scoring" is done electronically on the computer based on angular differences. Live firing on such tagets will inflate the score.

For live fire shooting and scoring on reduced targets, the reduction must take into account the fact that the pellet or bullet is not reduced in size. Thus, if you wish to shoot for score on reduced targets, you must use targets that were reduced properly for that purpose.

As I recall, and as mentioned in a previous post, the High Noon Postal Competition web site has links to what you need in order to do the proper reduction for live fire scoring. I know that 6 meters is a commonly used reduced distance for indoor air rifle and air pistol shooting. You may find reduced targets for that distance ready for download.

To help with your calculations, 1 inch = 25.4 millimeters and 50 meters = 164 feet. As I recall, 10 meters is 32 feet, 9 point something inches.

Welcome to the sport! Enjoy! And...

"Feel Center!"

-JP
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

CC:

I'm sure you are getting the best advice available for setting up a shorter range in terms of target sizes etc, so I'll take the easy part of your question

It is NEVER a lame brained idea to pick up your AP and shoot it ANY distance if your desire is to improve your skills. If you go to any serious matches, you will see shooters warming up by dry firing at a wall less than a foot from the muzzle of the AP.

Why? Sight alignment and trigger control - you dont have to fire a single round to practice and improve on these critical fundamentals. Even live fire at 20 feet will yield tremendous results.

Try not to get too hung up on scores thopugh - quality training and practice is far more important for a new shooter. The scores will take care of themselves. In the meantime, enjoy the voyage.

Paul
Nano

shoot 10m at 6m

Post by Nano »

CC:
you can search in google for "pellant airguns" and you enter to software.
there you will find a target (in pdf file) to shoot at 6meters, without making any click to your gun. one meter = 3.28 ft
I use it with success.

Nano
cc west

Post by cc west »

Wow

Thank you everyone! Help like this makes it much easier to jump into this sport. I'm a little intimidated (perhaps like most people starting something new) but feel like I can come here and get good solid advice from people who care and want to improve not only their own scores, but those of others in order to expand and support this endeavor.

Thanks Again-

cc