FAS 603 / 607 Buffer Pad Rubber

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Fortitudo Dei

FAS 603 / 607 Buffer Pad Rubber

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Has anyone experimented replacing the factory buffer pad used in Fas cartridge pistols with an alternative? For those unaware of the operation of the pistol, this is a small rubber or plastic compound pad enclosed in a little metal clip that absorbs some of the shock that the recoiling slide normally transmits to the top shroud when it strikes it at the end of its rear-ward travel.
The rubber compound in my example has crumbled away, and the replacement pad which came with the pistol also appears to be quite brittle with age. I was thinking about chopping up a very firm eraser or maybe folding up a section of bicycle inner-tube and using silicone sealant to attach it to the clip. Does anyone have any other ideas?
Before anyone says "just go and buy a replacement", (a) they are expensive for what they are and (b) I will have to import them which means if I don't want to break the law in my country, applying for import permits to our National Police HQ. This may not quite be "more hassle than it's worth", but I wouldn’t mind investigating alternatives first.

Cheers.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I have never tried using anything other than the corect pads.

I would be extremely wary of using an alternative as I am sure that additional stresses on the clip legs will result in premature failure. If that happens and the clip face falls down then you will be unable to open the gun. Some heavy use of a hammer will then be required with the danger of a cracked rear locating lug writing off the pistol frame.
stale

fas buffer

Post by stale »

I have from time to time used firm eraser, for a couple of weeks.
While waiting for the originals. I think they are relatively cheap at www.fasdomino.com.
I have never seen these worn out, always the aging ( the crumbling or cracking.) Otherwise i would recommend to buy a few in spare.
I would guess You don't break any laws by importing this little rubber piece. The Fas factory probably will send as in a letter direct to You.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I too have nver used anything other than the right parts, but I also cannot imagine that cutting somthin out of meidum- hard rubber would not work just fine. mabye something like a rubber spatula if have such, or rubber paddles from an old mixing bowl?
Villo

FAS Bumper

Post by Villo »

Hi
Go to one of your local Tool and Die Shops and ask for a small piece of Polyurethane (this comes in many different consistencies and strenghts classified by different colours)
Polyuretane is used in many cases for springs and pressure pads in dies and fixtures. You can cut it with a hacksaw or an Exacto knife
Any Tool and Die maker will give you a small piece for free. It also last for a very very long time.
Good shooting to you.
Villo