IZH-46M Good for a beginner?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

IZH-46M Good for a beginner?

Post by Guest »

I am just starting out in 10 meter air pistol and wondering if the IZH-46M is a good choice to start with or should I buy a used FWB, Walther, Morini, etc?

I guess I'd like to try the competition out, see if this is for me, and then invest more if I want to continue down this road.

It would be so easy just to place an on-line order, pay the $275 and start soon rather than hunt classifieds and pay $500 for a used one.

Also, any good books and videos out there just for the 10 meter air pistol competition?

Thanks for your help. PS: my user name is waltherboy because I collect Walther centerfire handguns, I'm not married to the Walther airguns, just what will help me hone my skills.
Claudio

Re: IZH-46M Good for a beginner?

Post by Claudio »

Anonymous wrote:I am just starting out in 10 meter air pistol and wondering if the IZH-46M is a good choice to start with or should I buy a used FWB, Walther, Morini, etc?

It would be so easy just to place an on-line order, pay the $275 and start soon rather than hunt classifieds and pay $500 for a used one.
The IZH-46M is an excellent and accurate starter air pistol for $275 and it's all you need to start shooting. You might want to take a look at the Pardinin K-60 for $380, my first choice or the Walther CP2 for $350 on Pilkguns site at http://www.pilkguns.com/usedguns.htm
but then you need a CO2 tank as well.

Hope this helps
viriceman

Going back to CO2???

Post by viriceman »

This thread is a good one in that it illustrates the challenges of starting up in 10m air pistol. I'm trying to get folks interested here so I went ahead and got an IZH-46m to try out as a entry level gun. It is just that and a fine one. I shoot a Morini 162EI and don't plan on changing. The challenge may be to find something in between the $275 and $1200 guns. You will not find any used "air" guns for under $700 and most will be closer to $900. I explored CO2 guns which fall into that range but chose not to go there for one reason. It is my opinion that to do that would be taking a technological step backwards. If one is planning to get serious, I think he needs to go the compressed air route. You pay big up front, but you'll have something that will perform to the best of your ability. You can not beat the value of a 46m and that will give you an indication as to whether you enjoy the sport enough to drop some big bucks. From there you can move up though I personally would avoid going to CO2. Just my thoughts. We'll have to hear what others think.
mjfa

Buy it, you won't regret.

Post by mjfa »

Excellent air pistol with the necessary accuracy to hold the ten ring all day long. Very good adjustable trigger and sights. Adjustable grips with enough wood so you may modify them to perfectly fit your very own hand. Great value, a match gun at the price of a plinking gun, you can't get any better even for twice that money. It will give you the opportunity to start learning and enjoy the sport until you decide which of the top guns is the one that really suits you.
nematode

I wonder too...

Post by nematode »

I'm in a situation similar to Guest. I'm thinking about getting the IZH46M, but, also considering the Pardini K-58. The Pardini is priced between the IZH and the expensive FWB 103 ( I want a SSP ). Does anyone have experience with the Pardini? How does it compare to the other two?
mjfa

Pardini K58

Post by mjfa »

I really wouldn't spend $800 on a SSP gun and better save some more $ to buy the latest technology. As you may note none of the world top shooters uses a SSP but PCP's. And at that price you are already at just one third from the price of a top PCP gun. Just my opinion.
Bill177

K58

Post by Bill177 »

I have a K58. It is fun to shoot and as accurate and finely made as you will ever find. It is slightly harder to cock than than the Izzy. It allows you to shoot any place any time with just a tin of pellets. No Co2 or air tank required.

I also have a K60. My Co2 setup cost about $115 and lasts better than a year between $15 refills.

I had an Izzy to begin with. After a little fit and finish work and some time with a Dremel Tool, it was excellent for getting me started. I think the Izzy is ideal for determining if you wish to continue in target shoting and you will get most of your money back out of it when you sell it - if you ever do sell it.

If you are going to get serious about shooting, then heed the advice above about getting a new PCP pistol. I don't travel, so Co2 is fine for me.

If I was going to go for a new pistol now, I'd go for a short Pardini. A little backwards, perhaps, due to the mechanical trigger - but a proven design.

Just because more shooters are using one make/model over all others does not make that gun the choice for you.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

I have been shooting an IZH-46 at a 4-H stand at the county fair. One thing I don't like at all is my (and probably everyone else's) tendency to point the gun at the crowd to cock it. The gun has an underlever, and is a pistol so you hold the grip in your dominant hand, and pump the gun with you off hand. When I do that I automatically point the gun at the crowd behind me. The alternative is to completely change position every time you load the gun.

Other than that, I love the gun.

Mike
Wichita KS
popgun

Re: IZH-46M Good for a Beginner?

Post by popgun »

Something else to think about when upgrading from an IZH to a PCP pistol: Should you ever go into AP silhouette in your spare time, the IZH is wonderful to use in open-sight matches (I shoot master-level scores with it). It's quite flat-shooting out to the turkeys (15 yds.)
mjfa

Post by mjfa »

The IZH-46M is a wonderful pistol on its own merits. It is great for 10 m Air Pistol, Air Pistol Silhouettes, informal plinking and even short range pest control, on the hands of the beginner and the expert alike. It is a great value too at $275, sometimes even less, being in the price range of plinking guns. All it needs to become a perfect match shooting air pistol is the appropriate fitting of the grips, something the owner may accomplish by himself.

Bill177

Nice job on the grips

Post by Bill177 »

The above post showing the custom grips on an Izzy is a real class act. I modified mine when I had one, but modification is one thing - work of art is another.