EAA Creates CM2 Youth Model to Support America’s Youth

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

USAS

EAA Creates CM2 Youth Model to Support America’s Youth

Post by USAS »

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – European American Armory and USA Shooting have joined forces to create a USA Shooting IZHMASH 22LR CM2 Youth Model from which America’s Olympic hopefuls will receive a portion of profits.

In addition to desperately needed funding from the sales of this rifle, USA Shooting will also receive several of this youth model target grade gun for its youth development programs. Leaha Wirth, Director of Marketing for USA Shooting comments, “Youth development is critical to USA Shooting and to the industry as a whole. Not only does USA Shooting harvest future Olympic medallists from its youth development programs, but these programs are critical to the perpetuation of and the introduction to the shooting sports for the youth of America.”

EAA is stopping production of its standard CM2 Youth model and will only be offering the USA Shooting CM2 . “With our initial run of 2500 youth rifles planned, we are bringing a much-needed product to the youth shooting market that will not only serve as an accurate and effective starter rifle, but will also provide encouragement and inspiration to young shooters through its affiliation with America’s international shooting role models,” remarks Keith Bernkrant of EAA.

The USA Shooting IZHMASH CM2 Youth target gun features a hammer forged, coated barrel with target quality rifling and chamber, a fully adjustable click rear sight, a hooded front sight with interchangeable inserts, fully adjustable target trigger, an aluminum forend rail with swing swivel and youth sling as well as an adjustable butt plate to help with length of pull for shooters of all ages. The wood stock features the USA Shooting logo and also comes in a handy embroidered case. All this will get youngsters started target shooting at an affordable recommended retail price of $499.00.

The USA Shooting IZHMASH 22LR Target Gun can be ordered and purchased through your local sporting goods store or favorite gun dealer.
USA Shooting is recognized by the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) and the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) as the national governing body for the Olympic and international shooting sports in the United States. International shooting includes more than two-dozen different events for both men and women in four different disciplines; pistol, rifle, shotgun and running target. Seventeen of these events are currently part of the Olympic shooting sports program. USA Shooting trains and selects the USA Shooting Team, which represents the United States throughout the year in numerous major international competitions worldwide including the Olympic Games, World Championships, Pan American Games, Championships of the Americas and at ISSF World Cups. To learn more about USA Shooting, call them at (719) 866-4743 or visit their website at www.usashooting.com.
[img]http://www.pilkguns.com/2004/Cm2.jpg[img][/img]
USAS

CM2 picture

Post by USAS »

Post by Guest »

Doesn't the buttstock look awful long compared to the rest of the rifle? I'm thinking it needs about 2 inches taken off to be in the right ratio.
Roy McClain

Rifle Info

Post by Roy McClain »

The Stock does look to be 13" - 14" long judging by the rest of the Rifle ... at least 2" - 3" inches too long for my very Junior Shooters. Anyone know who's sights are on the rifle? I'd sure like to have one to evaluate... Anyone know if CMP is going to offer them?

Thanks,

Roy McClain
Spalding County Shooting Sports

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius

Post by Guest »

Hi

O.K. I checked Gunbroker.com and there aren't any there. Any idea of when it will be showing up? I wouldn't mind having one my self.

Mike
Wichita KS

CM-2

Post by Guest »

I've seen one of these in person. The LOP is in the 12"-13" range. (The barrel is rather short and that's what makes the stock look so long in the pictures). For those familiar with Russian guns there will be no surprises; attention to detail where it matters, but somewhat rough elsewhere.

I haven't shot one, but a fellow I correspond with picked up 16 for his junior team. He tried one with minimal cleaning and was getting straight 10's on the standard 50 yard target, off an improvised rest. So, I guess they shoot well enough.

Re: CM-2

Post by Guest »

I've seen one of these in person. The LOP is in the 12"-13" range. (The barrel is rather short and that's what makes the stock look so long in the pictures). For those familiar with Russian guns there will be no surprises; attention to detail where it matters, but somewhat rough elsewhere.

I haven't shot one, but a fellow I correspond with picked up 16 for his junior team. He tried one with minimal cleaning and was getting straight 10's on the standard 50 yard target, off an improvised rest. So, I guess they shoot well enough.

I forgot to mention that there are also a couple of removable spacers between the butt plate an the stock.
HarryB

Post by HarryB »

My daughter wants one but she shoots lefty. Any suggestions around the stock issue?

Post by Guest »

It looks "almost" ambidexterous - bet she could shoot it until she outgrows it.
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

Well "thanks" to Izhmash & EAA for their efforts. Without them we would not have an intro level rifle for young shooters. I seems to me that the good ole' USA better not get into too many more international squabbles---because our own industries don't produce any more target rifles and may not be able to produce the other WMD's. Sad, to say the Winchester 52, Remington 40X and the 513T which most of old farts grew up shooting are long gone as are the geezers who shot them. It's a crying shame that we have to go to other countries to get our target equipment both pistols and rifles---with the American entrepreneur going to the world market to produce his goods. Just my Humble Opinion---that's all.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I saw one of these rifles for the first time last weekend. Excellent trigger, 5 rear sight irises, 5 front posts, 5 front apertures (seemed to be the same size as Anschutz), sling swivel. sling and cleaning kit - what a deal? I found that it appears to be superior to the Anschutz 1451. I was about to buy six of them (ended up buying one to test) for my junior club but my dealer told me that they had trouble getting repairs to shotguns by the same manufacturer to be done by EAA. Does anyone have information of the long term reliability of these rifles? Are repair/placement parts and/or repair services for this rifle available in the US?
Robert Burdge

Post by Robert Burdge »

Paul,

I am curious about the trigger on this rifle. Is it two-stage? Adjustable for pull weight? What about sear engagement for second stage?

How did the length of pull feel to you? Usable by an adult? I like the idea of a gun that I could use and my kids could use also.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The 2-stage trigger, right out of the box with no adjustment, broke very cleanly, much better and lighter than the Anschutz 1451s that I have purchased. I would guess the weight was 1 to 2 pounds. I was told by the owner that the trigger is fully adjustable. As to length of pull, the gun comes with two 1/2"-3/4" spacers that can be removed to make the length shorter. I did not check to see if additional spacers could be used to make it longer. The length with the two spacers seemed to be generally OK for the adults in the class that I was teaching. If this gun has good long term reliability it looks like a real winner, particularly with the $330-$360 price tag (USAS must be getting a good size kickback with their suggested retail price of $499).
Robert Burdge

Post by Robert Burdge »

Thanks Paul. Now I really have a "hankering" for this little gun. As I understand it, this rifle has the same action as the Izhmash SM2 Smallbore Competition rifle - which has been used by Russian Olympic training teams for quite of few years now. If nothing else the Russians are known for building durable (if not always pretty) weapons. If it feels good out of the box I would be willing to believe that it will still feel good after many years of service.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I shot the CM2 Youth for the first time last night and I thought I ought to report my findings. The firing was at 50' indoors with CCI standard velocity and from the bench.

(1) The action opens smooth and easy when unloaded but becomes somewhat hard to both close and open when loaded, might be difficult for younger shooters. I have not yet checked the headspace.

(2) The sights are marked in Cyrillic and are reverse threaded from most European and American sights. The small knobs are a little hard to turn.

(3)I thought that the front sight would hold Anschutz plastic inserts but it will not; the diameter is just a little too small. Also, the selection of 4 front apertures are too small for youth shooting. Even the largest one is too small.

(4)With the fiber sleeved barrel the gun is so light that muzzle jump is noticable and a little disconcerting. A weight on the rail will probably help this.

(5)The accuracy seemed acceptable on the short test that I performed. I was able to shoot 5 shot groups that scored 44-48 on the A-36 international reduced target.
Robert Burdge

Post by Robert Burdge »

Paul,

Interesting that the barrel is shrouded. Never read about that anywhere before. I wonder if it is a tensioned barrel or just a cosmetic shroud?

I found a manual for the CM2 on the EAA website. There are pictures that show the rifle with an (optional) removable box magazine. Did the rifle that you used have a magazine or was it single-shot? Thanks.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The rifle that I have is single shot. The barrel externally appears like the new air rifle barrels that are some sort of plastic-like material on the outside.
Albert

Post by Albert »

It is surprising to read that the US is modifying a Russian SB rifle for Juniors. I thought that the US companys were capable of designing and building their own Junior rifle. Or is this just a matter of finance?

I started shooting 27 years ago using one of the earlier models of the CM2. It was undistructable and digested most of the western ammo brands without any problem. It had good accuracy.
Can anybody explain if this is a new stock or a modified stock with shortende barrel; a adjustable cheeck piece would be a great improvement.
I hope this project does work out well. Lots of succes,
Albert
(The Netherlands)
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Albert: The American gun manufacturers gave up on serious manufacture of target rifles about 30 years ago.

I don't know anything about the rifle that is the topic of this thread. I am the proud owner of several cz 452's though. One of them I converted into a youth target rifle. I made some riser blocks allowing Anschutz sights to be mounted and made a standard rifle type stock for it. Those cz's are very impressive rifles for the cost.

I hope this one that USA shooting is getting behind works out well. As it is finding a suitable smallbore rifle for 10-13 year olds is tough.
Jarcher

Any newer info on these?

Post by Jarcher »

Hi All...

I was wondering if anyone had any more experience with these since this thread was started 6 months ago. I ask because I am looking for as .22 for my 9yr old (soon to be 10) daughter to shoot at the local club Jr. program.

Thanks very much