Best book for Olympic Pistol Training?

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Norm J

Best book for Olympic Pistol Training?

Post by Norm J »

Hi,
Would anyone care to recommend the best book for training for precision pistol?
I can put most of my shots on the 8,9,10 rings of the 25m target (shrunk on a copier for 25 yard range), but my only "technique" that has enterred my "training" has been to focus on the front sight and try and be gentle with the trigger. So of course some of my groups look like buckshot fired out of a bent double-barrel by a drunk person.
Anyway, I love my IZH-35M and believe I could be good and would perhaps like to compete with other hobbyist level shooters - care to offer me a shove in the right direction?
Oh, and I also shoot about the same on 10m Air Pistol - who has written good stuff on those skills?
Norm
normj1969-at-yahoo.com.47793.0
Fortitudo Dei

Re: Best book for Olympic Pistol Training?

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

: Hi,
: Would anyone care to recommend the best book for training for precision pistol?
==========
I've recently purchased a copy of Yur'yev's Russian classic, "Competitive Shooting" via Ray Riling after reading about it on TT.(http://www.rayrilingarmsbooks.com/cgi-b ... /2906.html). So far I've been very impressed, though the level of detail is sometimes so thorough to the point of anal retentiveness (i.e. about 30 pages on trigger release!).
My favourite book is Hans Standl's "Pistol Shooting as a Sport" which is smaller, but has a very nice balance between the physical and mental aspects of pistol shooting. Standl was one of the top West German pistol coaches in the 60's and 70's and he really knows his stuff, though is quite opinionated (and as a top coach, rightly so). It's out of print now but you should be able to track a copy down via www.bookfinder.com. It assumes that you already know the basics (i.e. focussing on the front sight, trying to achieve an unconscious trigger release etc etc.), and concentrates of teaching you how to improve your score, not how to shoot without injuring yourself (e.g. don’t expect opening chapters on range-safety rules – he expects you to already know these).
The other two books which are often mentioned are Laslo Antal's "Pistol Shooting" (out of print, try bookfinder, but it can be pricey), and Frank and Paul Leatherdale's "Successful Pistol Shooting" (still available new). These last two are a good introduction to ISSF pistol shooting (and quite similar to each other), but I found them to be a bit basic for my level of experience and I didn't pick up as much from them as I hoped. If you already know the basics, you might find the same thing. Still worth a look though and ideal if you are just starting out.

mako

Not a book, but good info ...

Post by mako »

Not a book ... but a good FREE collection of interesting pistol shooting articles can be found at the LINK below.

makofoto-at-earthlink.net.47798.47796
mako

Thanks on that site ... found and ordered a copy!

Post by mako »

lots of copies available btw ... in the $12 range ... should be a great value ...
makofoto-at-earthlink.net.47799.47796
Patrick Haynes

Re: Training material

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Hi Norm.
There is also a training section on my website, TargetShooting Canada, which covers the technical, physical and some mental training techniques.
Additionally, there are documents on error analysis, training manuals (i.e. the US Army Marksmanship Unit Marksmanship Training Guide, New Zealand Pistol Association's Introduction to Pistol Shooting, Pennsylvania 4-H Shooting Sports Guide, Canadian Cadet Air Rifle Training Manual), and even MP3s for developing cadence in ISSF Timed, Rapid and Centrefire/Sport Rapidfire (Duello). Check out the document section for these resources.
There are alot more items available, but too numerous to list here. I hope that you can find it to be of some use.
Good shooting.
Patrick
haynes-at-targetshooting.ca.47831.47793