trouble with getting scope mounted

old, good http://www.midcoast.com/~pilkguns/bbs/

Moderators: rexifelis, pilkguns

Scott

trouble with getting scope mounted

Post by Scott »

Hello,
I have a dilemma I hope you all can help me solve.
My son wants to test pellets in his air rifle for his science project (determining which one produces the tightest groupings in his rifle). I have mounted a scope, but the point of contact is still about 6 inches low at 10 meters. This is with a shim (strip of aluminum from a soda can) and the scope at the limit of its adjustment. He could aim at a point well above the target, but this would make placing targets difficult (small trap outdoors)as aiming at the top of the trap still leaves the pellet hitting about a half inch outside of the trap.
Any ideas or ways to get things working?
This is with a RWS Mod. 24 with a Leupold 3 x 9 scope. What problems can result from the parallax problems? This scope is from my hunting rifle--not usually fired at 10 meters. Tried my silhouette scope, but the scope is too long and inhibits the opening of the barrel.

cutthroat518-at-yahoo.com.47620.0
bob

Re: trouble with getting scope mounted

Post by bob »

Be careful using a non airgun scope on an air gun. The mechanics and recoil of and air gun can tear apart a scope not designed for it.
: Hello,
: I have a dilemma I hope you all can help me solve.
: My son wants to test pellets in his air rifle for his science project (determining which one produces the tightest groupings in his rifle). I have mounted a scope, but the point of contact is still about 6 inches low at 10 meters. This is with a shim (strip of aluminum from a soda can) and the scope at the limit of its adjustment. He could aim at a point well above the target, but this would make placing targets difficult (small trap outdoors)as aiming at the top of the trap still leaves the pellet hitting about a half inch outside of the trap.
: Any ideas or ways to get things working?
: This is with a RWS Mod. 24 with a Leupold 3 x 9 scope. What problems can result from the parallax problems? This scope is from my hunting rifle--not usually fired at 10 meters. Tried my silhouette scope, but the scope is too long and inhibits the opening of the barrel.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Is that going to be a problem with this scope? I know that the scope I use on my silhouette rifle is designed for air rifle use; but, as I mentioned it is too long to allow the air rifle to operate
: Be careful using a non airgun scope on an air gun. The mechanics and recoil of and air gun can tear apart a scope not designed for it.
: : Hello,
: : I have a dilemma I hope you all can help me solve.
: : My son wants to test pellets in his air rifle for his science project (determining which one produces the tightest groupings in his rifle). I have mounted a scope, but the point of contact is still about 6 inches low at 10 meters. This is with a shim (strip of aluminum from a soda can) and the scope at the limit of its adjustment. He could aim at a point well above the target, but this would make placing targets difficult (small trap outdoors)as aiming at the top of the trap still leaves the pellet hitting about a half inch outside of the trap.
: : Any ideas or ways to get things working?
: : This is with a RWS Mod. 24 with a Leupold 3 x 9 scope. What problems can result from the parallax problems? This scope is from my hunting rifle--not usually fired at 10 meters. Tried my silhouette scope, but the scope is too long and inhibits the opening of the barrel.

cutthroat518-at-yahoo.com.47623.47622
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

With a standard hunting scope you will have quite a bit of parallax at 10m. I used a standard weaver 4x scope for a little while on an air rifle and the parallax resulted in about 1/2" of uncertainty. What Bob said about airguns and scopes really only goes for spring piston guns (not sure what the RWS 24 is).
pdeal-at-mylanlabs.com.47629.47622
Chuck Marsh

Post by Chuck Marsh »

: Hello,
: I have a dilemma I hope you all can help me solve.
: My son wants to test pellets in his air rifle for his science project (determining which one produces the tightest groupings in his rifle). I have mounted a scope, but the point of contact is still about 6 inches low at 10 meters. This is with a shim (strip of aluminum from a soda can) and the scope at the limit of its adjustment. He could aim at a point well above the target, but this would make placing targets difficult (small trap outdoors)as aiming at the top of the trap still leaves the pellet hitting about a half inch outside of the trap.
: Any ideas or ways to get things working?
: This is with a RWS Mod. 24 with a Leupold 3 x 9 scope. What problems can result from the parallax problems? This scope is from my hunting rifle--not usually fired at 10 meters. Tried my silhouette scope, but the scope is too long and inhibits the opening of the barrel.
Hi
B-Square has an adjustable scope mount that
will allow you to mount without parralax.
If I remember correctly it is 51.00.

yankee1_1-at-hotmail.com.47631.47620
Len

Very Simple

Post by Len »

The RWS and almost ALL break barrels suffer from "droop". The barrel at lock up will be anywhere from 10 minutes to 60 minutes or more off.
You need a drooper mount or an adjustable mount at the least.
You can have a mount professionally drooped or you can buy the RWS C-mount (one or two piece) or the Bsquare AA adjustable mount.
As to setting the parrallex, you can modify the setting by adjusting the scope. It requires some tools and you actually slip adjust the front objective. It's prolly not a thing you would really want to do but it's easy to do.
The RWS 24 is not a "magnum" airgun by any means and the contruction of your scope should make it fine for the use. There is a specific series of Leupold scopes that are labeled EFR (extended focus range) but buying him that scope for te test would be a waste of money.
Truthfully you might just be better off buying a cheap pump gun with a small scope on it (for the price of some of those mounts) and let him test his pellets in that gun.
The fact that it would be a multi stroke pneumatic
gives him multiple criteria (3 pumps, 5 pumps, 8 pumps). You don't run the risk of messing up your scope and don't have to buy an expensive mount AND a springer really requires a special technique when benching to do it well and may make the test results invalid. Granted the pump gun isn't going to be super accurate but they are still pretty decent for cheap guns.
OR
Buy him a nice airgun scope Simmons ProAir, or something with mounts and let him shoot away!