Pumping iron...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

Pumping iron...

Post by conradin »

..is not the real subject of course; but pumping iron does help develop muscles that you need.

I would like to know, for those who resort to using manual pumping, as opposed to using a scuba tank, how much stroke do you need to fill up yours? Let me also knows the make and model (as in, the pistole such as LP10). I am thinking of a backup method as my scuba tank is now due for re-inspection and re-certification, which can take up to 2 weeks.
Gwhite

Re: Pumping iron...

Post by Gwhite »

I have a Hill pump, which I have used on both Steyr & Morini cylinders.

The secret is not to run the cylinders down too low, and don't try to fill them all the way up to 200 bar. 170 bar should be enough for a lengthy session. If you fill them immediately after you shoot, you can recuperate before your next session. Getting the last 10 or 20 bar before 200 requires that I practically throw myself down on the pump handle. I weight about 170 pounds, so it may be easier if you are heavier. I have access to scuba tanks now, and I haven't used it in a while. I think at lower pressures I used to get several bar per complete up/down stroke, maybe as much as 5 bar. It slows down a LOT when you get above 150.
Rover

Post by Rover »

1. Go on Craigslist and buy another tank, it's cheaper than a pump.

2. Fill at your club for a week.

3. Use a SSP, or one of your many FWB 65s for a few days.

4. Spend your non-shooting days dry-firing and pumping iron.

5. Ask for a loaner while yours is being inspected.

6. Take your tank to a different dive-shop.

I guess I could come up with a few more, but I trust you get the picture.
Dcforman

Post by Dcforman »

Hill MK4 Pump, Morini 200 bar cylinder. I let mine run to about 80 psi before filling. Generally takes about 35 pumps. The effort required on my pump does not seem to increase as the cylinder fills. Maybe slightly, but not significantly.

Dave
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

I use a pump but I do not shoot Olympic pistol. I use a pump almost exclusively to charge my field target rifles and my 10 meter rifle. My 10 meter gun is an anschutz 8002. I get about 200+ shots from a charge. I just pumped it up and it took 125 pumps. I pump 25 pumps and then rest and let the pump cool down. A pistol with a much smaller cylinder would take less pumps. My field target rifles are 12 ft lb guns and I get maybe 100 shots per charge out of them but they take maybe up to 175 pumps depending on how empty they are. My pump is a Gehmann that I bought from champions choice. It worked for over ten years and then had to be rebuilt. You can buy a pump online for less than $75. and some include a rebuild kit.

I will point out that most people do not like pumping. It is rather difficult and requires work BUT it certainly is doable. I am 78 and still can handle it although I do rest every 25 pumps as I mentioned above.
It's a nice idea to have a pump around just in case you need it.
Rick B.
conradin

Post by conradin »

By california law, scuba tank must be inspected at the end of its expire date. The only places to do these service is scuba shop. Without the inspection, the will not fill it up. Most of the time they spent was inspection in various procedure. I do not want to rely on the scuba tanks.
SSP is too tough for me, as I get tired after some 20 shots a day. I plan to sell my FWB 602, so stay tuned.
I like the spring gun option.Whether it is FWB150 or 300s. As for FWB65, I like them, but not like them enough to collect them. For some reason, the spring gun is a whole lot more lighter when it comes to cocking the side lever. Both the 602 and my 300s are both accurate.
Yes, I know, Rover I know what you meant. Thank you to all of you.
I am not competing or another thing, I just want to do my 20 shot a day routine
Rover

Post by Rover »

7. Have the dive shop fill your cylinders to the max when you bring in your tank. That should get you almost two weeks.

8. Just fill from the tank you bought cheap from Craiglist while you wait for your tank return.

9. Take your tank to the shop that actually does the inspection and see how quickly THEY will do it.

10. Yeah, go with the FWB 65.

11. Go with a SSP and man up. FIOCCHI .177 AIR PISTOL — Shedhorn Sports
High Left

Post by High Left »

I use a Hill. I'm about 170 lbs or less, and I don't have any trouble charging all the way to 200bar. Maybe a height thing, I'm about 5-8.

Push slow, not try to force it down as fast as possible. And I bend my knees, not bend over, to get my upper body weight into it. Same goes for the upstroke, if I pull it up fast it will want to rebound a bit at the top of the stroke. My guess is residual pressure that just hasn't made it to the next stage yet, the passages and check valves likely to be pretty small to fit 3 stages in the cylinder. Feels that way at least.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Respectfully, annual tank maintenance consists of a visual inspection. That takes 30 minutes. The only time the inspection gets lengthy is when the tank needs to be Hydrostatically inspected and eddy Current checked. Thats once every few years... A brand new 80 cu ft alu tank is $225 ish. I think you are overcomplicating things again. I have a small tank because my wife doesnt want a big one laying around, and even at that, a tank is so much easier than pumping guns up....... Also, California has no laws concerning tank filling or inspection. They are federal Regulations driven by the DOT enforcing the international PED directives
divingin

Post by divingin »

conradin wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:31 pm By california law, scuba tank must be inspected at the end of its expire date. The only places to do these service is scuba shop. Without the inspection, the will not fill it up.
Technically not accurate. Scuba tanks require 2 inspections: An annual visual inspection, normally done by a dive shop (though there are unaffiliated yet certified inspectors around), and a hydrostatic inspection (done by a facility capable of testing: generally a "stretch" test, in which the cylinder is filled to a 5/3 working pressure, and diameter is measured.) An individual can take a cylinder the the testing facility and have the hydro done.

The visual inspection is mandated by the scuba industry, in an attempt to weed out wear and tear on the cylinders - corrosion, water ingress, that sort of thing.

The hydro is mandated by the US Dept of Transportation, and is needed if you are transporting cylinders on roads.

That said, you are correct in that most shops will not fill unless both inspections are current, but there is no requirement for a visual for non-diving cylinders, nor (I think) is there a requirement for the 5-year hydro test for cylinders not transported on public roads (might be wrong on this one.)

The shop I used for diving would fill cylinders used for paintball without a valid visual inspection. They did require the hydro (which makes sense as most people drove the cylinders in.

Your other option is to get a small compressor to directly pump your PCP cylinder. Vevor (as do others, I'm sure) has one for under $300. No idea on how long they last though. Hill has a more bullet proof option, but it's well over a thousand bucks.

Off-topic: You quit going to San Leandro Range?
conradin

Post by conradin »

Change of interest. Hence selling air guns. Going back to archery.