Walther FP repair questions

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
prowling

Walther FP repair questions

Post by prowling »

So, I picked up a Walther FP with the electronic trigger recently. It was non-functioning, so I got it for a very reasonable price. I figured I could do some tinkering and see if I had any luck getting it to go bang again. Essentially, I did just that, finding a broken wire that I resoldered and adding a fresh 9v. Took it to the range and put 30 rounds through it with no misfires. Quite pleased, to say the least. The only thing is that the green and red LEDs are non-functioning. Has anybody ever repaired/replaced the status lighting on the PC board before? I know Walther was notoriously protective of the circuit and proprietary tech, but I wondered if somebody got to tinkering and could hip me to some options. It seems like a pretty simple fix if I could find the values and a schematic.

Thanks in advance, y’all.
Gwhite

Re: Walther FP repair questions

Post by Gwhite »

It was quite a number of years ago, but I recall someone had reverse engineered the circuitry, and had even made replacement boards. The college I help coach at has one, and I keep thinking I should test it out. Now that free pistol has been killed at the collegiate level as well as the Olympics, we will probably end up selling our museum of ancient free pistols...
prowling

Post by prowling »

Let me know if that happens to be the case, as I’d likely be interested in some of them. I find myself with a growing collection and loving them all …

Funny that as dead as FP is here in the ‘States, it’s still practiced and matches well attended in Europe, Asia, and Australia. I started a FP group on Facebook recently (Free Pistol Fanatics), and a quarter of the members thus far are Aussies!
JariN

Post by JariN »

brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

There was a thread a while back that people trying to convince everyone that making circuit boards was child's play and obsolete electronic guns would not scare them away. I wish I could find the link.

Those Walther FPs always looked like they weighed about 3 pounds less than all of Rhode Island.
prowling

Post by prowling »

JariN wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:56 pm Maybe this helps:

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=32630
Boom. Thanks JariN, that’s exactly what I was hoping was out there/in here.