It really is the little things......

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Agt. Smith

It really is the little things......

Post by Agt. Smith »

......Like a quiet empty indoor range, a few decent targets, or a full tank of heating oil (it was 15F here in Cow Hampshire this morning).

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas !

toddinjax

Re: It really is the little things......

Post by toddinjax »

I have not competed yet but I think getting used to a quiet, empty range will work against you some day. My pistol is pretty low on noise but a young woman who meets with the same coach as me on Monday nights has a Pardini rifle and that sucker makes a CRACK!! My tinnitus is off the charts loud already so the hearing protection is on duty when anyone else is in the room.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Does that picture show the actual lighting conditions you shoot in? Looks terrible dark until close to the target. Someone here far more knowledgeable than me might have something to say about that and what effect it could have on your shooting.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Competing? What is that ? LOL !

All points taken. Frankly, I do this for fun - and that's how most of our local "pellet group" members think about it too. No doubt the lighting could probably be improved if you're shooting 10+s for a living. I leave a few light banks off just to save the club electricity.

Trust me - we have a few "large caliber" air gun shooters that make PLENTY of racket. Think Benjamin Bulldog ! I just wear headphones - here, it's nice when I don't have to.

This may sound rank amateur - but keeping them "all in the black" is a personal goal that I'm simply going to enjoy for a while.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The ISSF lighting specs are only at the targets and the firing line. I don't think there is any requirement for the light levels anywhere else. Even if they meet the specs, that means each range will be a little different. As long as your pistol sights and your target are illuminated consistently, you should be OK as long as you don't let perceived differences mess with your head.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:10 pm The ISSF lighting specs are only at the targets and the firing line. I don't think there is any requirement for the light levels anywhere else. Even if they meet the specs, that means each range will be a little different. As long as your pistol sights and your target are illuminated consistently, you should be OK as long as you don't let perceived differences mess with your head.
a bit more than that - take a look at all of 6.4.14 Indoor Range Light Requirements (Lux) re general range illumination.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Agt. Smith wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:30 pm ......Like a quiet empty indoor range, a few decent targets, or a full tank of heating oil (it was 15F here in Cow Hampshire this morning).

Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas !

You got that right. Especially the heating oil in that neck of the woods, but add a quiet contemplative place to shoot and some good targets… priceless.

Merry Christmas from balmy Austin, Texas. Home of SnoVid, February 2021!
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Happy, Safe and Warm Holidays to All!
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
spektr

Post by spektr »

Empty range and the RO says my 800x sounds funny......
He had never heard pellets hit the paper target.