Can anything be done to 46M dry fire?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Can anything be done to 46M dry fire?

Post by toddinjax »

I'm back with my Baikal46M with Ring grip and I am troubled by the drastic difference between what the trigger feels like in live fire vs dry. It is much lighter in dry fire. I still of course do holding exercises and dry firing. I feel I'm benefiting from dry fire, even just working the trigger back and forth after a dry fire while doing a holding ex. Just how much am I losing out on by the weight being different, or (hopefully) will working the trigger without disturbing the sights carry over at "real" trigger weight?
william

Re: Can anything be done to 46M dry fire?

Post by william »

Just making sure - when you dry fire, do you make sure to retract the breech cover all the way until you hit the hard stop? I've never owned a 46M, but I shot a 46 for years. Any difference between dry and live fire was undetectable by my finger.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Yes, breech all the way up, it makes a little click, then when you pull trigger it breaks but at what feels like considerably less weight than live fire.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

I had the same feeling, but then decided to measure. Apparently this is all psychology/shot anticipation, actual pull is the same :)
BTW, original 46M manual suggests that you should dry fire "exactly as live fire, but without the pellet". The perception of pull in this case is the same as live fire, but dry-firing becomes harder and louder :)
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

46M manual suggests that you should dry fire "exactly as live fire, but without the pellet
This is what I have always done, with no damage to the gun. Just a little noise when air is released.
Ade C

Post by Ade C »

Dry firing on my AP20 feels lighter too but it's just psychological
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

In the vast majority of air pistols & competition .22's with a dry fire feature, the mechanism only stops the "hammer" from falling all the way to either open the firing valve, or hit the firing pin. There is NO mechanical difference between the trigger feel & release between live & dry fire.

What goes on in your head is a different matter. If you know it won't actually fire, the perceived feel can be VERY different. Even if you are dry firing with a SCATT, there is an "outcome" to fret about, and that can mess with your head (and trigger finger)..
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Pat McCoy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:33 pm
46M manual suggests that you should dry fire "exactly as live fire, but without the pellet
This is what I have always done, with no damage to the gun. Just a little noise when air is released.
Just don't do that during a match. Any discharge of air is considered a shot fired. With no pellet, per the rules, you just fired a zero.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

UnGe wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 pm I had the same feeling, but then decided to measure. Apparently this is all psychology/shot anticipation, actual pull is the same :)
BTW, original 46M manual suggests that you should dry fire "exactly as live fire, but without the pellet". The perception of pull in this case is the same as live fire, but dry-firing becomes harder and louder :)
I just discovered it today, that psychology is a partial truth. Partial only.
Let me elaborate. Today while practicing I figure out that while in the live fire moment - we tend to put fingers on different portion of the trigger.
For any hand that would almost automatically mean different pull feelings for different shots. I was even experimenting with it when one series went to 89/100 - just for the heck of it.
That will almost never happen when you dry fire.
Because I have a small hand ( very small hand ) different positioning of finger in the trigger means aim adjustments - and the shot will move up or down accordingly. One more mystery solved.
Stable grip, stable trigger position is key.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

dschaller wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am Just don't do that during a match. Any discharge of air is considered a shot fired. With no pellet, per the rules, you just fired a zero.
That is a great point - but then again - to apply the rule should not the gun to be loaded?
william

Post by william »

nmondal wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:55 am
dschaller wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:52 am Just don't do that during a match. Any discharge of air is considered a shot fired. With no pellet, per the rules, you just fired a zero.
That is a great point - but then again - to apply the rule should not the gun to be loaded?
NO! ANY discharge of air on the firing line. Don't try to figure it out. Don't argue.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

william wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:25 am
nmondal wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:55 am
NO! ANY discharge of air on the firing line. Don't try to figure it out. Don't argue.
Understood.
Lucky then in my case even with a fully loaded pellet mine won't fire.
I have safety catch to enable disable for dry fire!
Even with pellet in - it won't fire!