Technique, goals & reality.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
toddinjax

Technique, goals & reality.

Post by toddinjax »

After finishing a session of dry firing and holding exercises I wondered; While our goal is to grip the gun as still as possible while applying force to the trigger up to and even past the breaking of the shot, while keeping sights aligned. Both gripping pressure and triggering force from hands and finger must be along one perfectly coordinated direction front to back, with absolutely no horizontal or vertical force. Is it actually possible to apply force to the trigger "perfectly" or is it more of a "goal" to try to perfect this one directional movement with as little lateral & vertical movement, and we try to accomplish this goal by using our grip of the pistol to counter/resist/minimize any force other than the "perfect" force we try to achieve?
If you're pressed for time the question could be; if an AP were floating in the international space station in zero gravity, would it be humanly possible without grasping the grip to activate the trigger without disturbing the sights or trajectory of the shot? Are we trying to achieve a perfect trigger pull that can't actually be done or are we working towards the best compromise between each component of a successful shot?
Gwhite

Re: Technique, goals & reality.

Post by Gwhite »

As long as any disturbance of the sights is small compared to your natural wobble, it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. If you are dry firing and can' t see any discernable lurch caused by actuating the trigger, you are close enough. An electronic trainer like a SCATT or Noptel can also be useful to see if you trigger squeeze is good enough.

In my experience, the vast majority of unwanted motion is caused either by forcing the shot off ("jerking the trigger"), and/or grabbing at the grip in some fashion in anticipation of the shot. The first can feed the latter. If you are forcing the shot off, you know when it's going to fire, and you can tense up in a whole host of ways that will throw your shots off.
Samson

Post by Samson »

The lateral and vertical deviation caused by you pulling the trigger can be reduced below the point where it becomes indistinguishable from your natural wobble and the rest of it can approximately be accounted for by pulling the trigger the same way every time (which should in theory lead to the same deviation pattern every shot, which you could then correct the sights for).

To make it absolutely, 100% perfect is an illusion since that would require you to have perfect control over your muscles not to twotch like they naturally do.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Once again, Gwhite has it exactly right.

Stop trying to "ambush" the bull.

https://media.giphy.com/media/US6kMNtQz ... /giphy.gif
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

For myself, part of this has to do with 'follow through' - something I've never really taken seriously until just recently.

I find that if I concentrate on keeping the front sight in focus and in a good aiming position during and after the shot - pellets magically seem to end up in better places.

Luckily we had an instructor from a nearby range stop by last week. Had a few "Come to Jesus" moments. One was once you arrive at a comfortable NPOA position, don't move around during the same target - stay put. The other was "follow through". I was dropping the pistol too quickly to see how I did. Another no-no I suspect.
ojh

Post by ojh »

Perfection is an abstraction, like a straight line in mathematics. You can define what it means and picture it in you mind, but you can never actually draw a perfect straight line.
Jon Eulette

Post by Jon Eulette »

Majority of pistol shooters use ortho grips that do not fit correctly. They are unforgiving and will cause many errant shots. Consistent grip pressure is more crucial when the grips do not fit correctly. Typically changes in grip pressure will move the front sight from side to side or horizontal. So even with a perfect trigger pull you can have non 10 shot placement. A master shooter will have exceptional trigger control and most shots break good. The hold comes into play more in this case. On some days you can shoot lots of really good 9's because that just happened to be your hold on that given day. Having a good shot process is vital to breaking good shots. So the combination of these things can make you or break you if not done correctly.
I was in Switzerland many years ago and had Cesare Morini make me 3 pairs of grips. I set a PB with all 3 guns and my new grips in the next matches I shot. They helped me break through a plateau. Worth every dollar. I recently had Thomas Rink duplicate one of these grips for another pistol. Immediately started shooting tighter groups at 50 yards. So I recommend getting someone to help you fit your grips and you will probably see immediate improvements. Also, your trigger finger applying pressure to the trigger helps your hold. It helps on a 45 wadgun more than an air pistol, but gripping pressure and trigger finger pressure combined does steady the pistol better. Gripping and aiming without trigger pressure is not your friend.
Jon
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Jon Eulette wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:17 am Majority of pistol shooters use ortho grips that do not fit correctly. They are unforgiving and will cause many errant shots. Consistent grip pressure is more crucial when the grips do not fit correctly. Typically changes in grip pressure will move the front sight from side to side or horizontal. So even with a perfect trigger pull you can have non 10 shot placement. A master shooter will have exceptional trigger control and most shots break good. The hold comes into play more in this case. On some days you can shoot lots of really good 9's because that just happened to be your hold on that given day. Having a good shot process is vital to breaking good shots. So the combination of these things can make you or break you if not done correctly.
I was in Switzerland many years ago and had Cesare Morini make me 3 pairs of grips. I set a PB with all 3 guns and my new grips in the next matches I shot. They helped me break through a plateau. Worth every dollar. I recently had Thomas Rink duplicate one of these grips for another pistol. Immediately started shooting tighter groups at 50 yards. So I recommend getting someone to help you fit your grips and you will probably see immediate improvements. Also, your trigger finger applying pressure to the trigger helps your hold. It helps on a 45 wadgun more than an air pistol, but gripping pressure and trigger finger pressure combined does steady the pistol better. Gripping and aiming without trigger pressure is not your friend.
Jon
cant agree more.
Now, the only thing is to find a good reason to drive to Germany and have one made by Rink.
Yet, cant find a reason to spoil myself with a toy of 400 euros while I am not even shooting a 520/600. will try to contend with the standard M-size walther grip for sometime more.
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

When I put a stock Rink on my 32 wadgun it was like night and day. Something about the design, angle, width, palm shelf roll, whatever, is very different from the K12 and just feels better to me anyway.

This is why I ordered a second Rink for the K12. Maybe it'll need to be "worked" at some point, who knows - but at my AP skill level (week 7), right now anyway, comfort is a big part of being relaxed. We have an AP coach from another club who hopefully will help sort out the fitting in coming weeks.

My ultimate goal is having fun, but even then, one step at a time......
Jon Eulette wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:17 am ......So I recommend getting someone to help you fit your grips and you will probably see immediate improvements.......
Jon