Pros and Cons of Electronic Trigger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Lenny

Pros and Cons of Electronic Trigger

Post by Lenny »

Currently I am shooting IZH-46M. I am planning on moving up to high end PCP air pistol, probably EVO-10. Have to decide on mechanical or electronic trigger. Aside from price difference, what are the other considerations? What are the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?
william

Re: Pros and Cons of Electronic Trigger

Post by william »

Show me the mechanical trigger with a dead battery, or a less than perfect solder joint, or a cracked circuit board.... I'll wait.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Electronic trigger! Better feel, near-perfect reliability when properly maintained (which is minimal), and best for Dry-Fire practice.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

william wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:42 am Show me the mechanical trigger with a dead battery, or a less than perfect solder joint, or a cracked circuit board.... I'll wait.
Hello-

That is exactly what I thought. Then, I bought a used Morini 162 ei in 2015. I quickly realized the trigger was more responsive to my style of shooting than the mechanical triggers on any other air pistol. I sold everything else and still shoot that Morini 162 ei, today. I change batteries once a year. Not because it is needed, but rather to avoid a leaky battery. I have never had the pistol fail at a match. I do keep a spare motherboard on hand, but have never had to use it. I shoot this pistol, daily. Generally 50 to 70 shots. It has not been babied.

It truly is a personal choice.

Best regards,
m1963
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

If you know what you are doing, you can make a mechanical trigger feel like about anything you want.

The men's gold medal winner in WC and Olympics this year used a mechanical to good effect.

Taking the grips off a E model gun takes a little finesse. The M model Steyr about 7 seconds.

The Indians have a formidable team using E triggers. They also have had problems, directly and indirectly with them. They might well have a formidable team with M triggers too.

Dry firing requires you to cock the striker like a cave man with the M trigger. The E trigger keeps clicking.
AJV

Post by AJV »

brent375hh wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:35 am
Dry firing requires you to cock the striker like a cave man with the M trigger. The E trigger keeps clicking.
Just like when you are shooting...

I have a K12 and I really don't feel trigger differences to the162E.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

You guys certainly don't make the choice easier ;)
I appreciate all of the responses, please keep them coming.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

AJV wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:56 am

I have a K12 and I really don't feel trigger differences to the162E.
Hello- after shooting the used Morini 162 ei (which has a very low serial number) I sold a brand new Pardini K12, that I had just bought a few months earlier. (I thought the Pardini K2s-air trigger had the closest feel to the one found on the Morini 162ei, though.) Truly, personal preference.

Best regards,
m1963
william

Post by william »

Lenny wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:00 am You guys certainly don't make the choice easier ;)
I appreciate all of the responses, please keep them coming.
I'm sure the water will get a lot more cloudy before this thread peters out.
AJV

Post by AJV »

I also had a K2S and it's trigger was awesome, but it fells to me that K12 it's easier to control. Both were adjusted by me...
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Just remember that people used to think carbureted cars were more reliable than electronic fuel injection. Think of how ridiculous that idea is in 2021.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Have your cake and eat it too.
Matchguns MGH1-Hybrid.

http://www.matchguns.com/en/mgh1-hybrid
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Walther also does a swappable electronic and mechanical trigger unit.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

McMadCow wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:07 pm Just remember that people used to think carbureted cars were more reliable than electronic fuel injection. Think of how ridiculous that idea is in 2021.
But I can still rebuild a carb, computer controlled injection, not so much. I would prefer a carb on a motorcycle to tour the world.
m1963

Post by m1963 »

I have a bicycle that is capable of touring the world, and repairable almost everywhere. It is a Surly Disc Trucker. Honestly, my Morini 162 ei is repairable anywhere in the world that an air pistol match is held, as well. Honestly, what air pistol will ‘fit the bill’ for the neanderthals among us? Please, tell us!
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

AJV wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:56 am
Yes, if you guessed I like mechanical, you guessed correctly.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

m1963 wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:14 pm I have a bicycle that is capable of touring the world, and repairable almost everywhere. It is a Surly Disc Trucker. Honestly, my Morini 162 ei is repairable anywhere in the world that an air pistol match is held, as well. Honestly, what air pistol will ‘fit the bill’ for the neanderthals among us? Please, tell us!
If I had to tour the world, I might go with one of my rim brake bikes. Seals are harder to replace than cables in the field for me.

I guess if you carry enough spares, like every part that has electron flow, the electronic trigger is a viable option. I have seen plenty of people have trouble with them, just like 20 year old amplifiers. Can they be fixed in minutes during the match? Mechanical triggers are something that I have never seen an utter failure of except Perazzi V springs.
sparky

Post by sparky »

The whole saga of Walther free pistols with electronic triggers and the lack of support after they were discontinued soured me on electronic triggers. Any part in a mechanical trigger can be made by a decent gunsmith...no gunsmith is going to be able to copy thin, printed circuit boards. I would hate to think I could ever end up with an expensive paperweight.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Getting new circuit boards isn't hard, quick turnaround places will do it in days.

You can do it yourself if you can manipulate a pen and have a beaker and a stopwatch.

These days getting finely made useful mechanical parts is almost harder than electronics.

That said mechanicals rarely go wrong, and fixing electronics takes time unless you have a drop-in board.
spektr

Post by spektr »

i was sitting on the sidelines with this one because the original poster asked for reasons, not feelings.

I will favor mechanical triggers.

They have the adjustability I understand and are built in such a way that I can make or source anything I view as a consumable.
If it breaks, I'm only out time and a small cost for a bit for materials. I will not be placed in a position of owning an unsupported electronic trigger that is beyond my understanding to repair. For instance, my next project is making a few PGP75 extractors, I understand what that takes and I will continue to shoot that until they plant me somewhere.