Which is a better 10 M match pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
subha

Which is a better 10 M match pistol

Post by subha »

Hello Guys,

For a beginner what match pistol would be good ? I am currently considering Morini CM 162 EI vs Steyr Evo 10 but cant make my mind, or is there any better option then these 2 ?
william

Re: Which is a better 10 M match pistol

Post by william »

Please - enough! Do you think for one second you will be able to detect a scintilla of OBJECTIVE difference between the two? You might as well ask if we prefer our cha-shu bao steamed or baked.

But sit tight, amigo! Rover is in the wings, and I'm sure he'll set you on the right path.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

They will all shoot 10's. Unless you have heard that one of your choices have had a history of mechanical problems, pick the one that is most visually appealing to you (that is why I went with the FWB P8X)

Support in your country is nice to have also.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Asking this question is no different than asking which supermodel would you want to marry..... Its all about your individual perceptions and how you get along. And with that being said, Ill leave it to you to explore them yourself because like supermodels there really isn't a bad choice out there........
Rover

Post by Rover »

subha wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 am Hello Guys,

For a beginner what match pistol would be good ? I am currently considering Morini CM 162 EI vs Steyr Evo 10 but cant make my mind, or is there any better option then these 2 ?
Yes.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

subha wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:09 am Hello Guys,

After massive discussion, it is this quorums call that there are top two contenders for real.
Walther LP 500 and FWB P8X.
People, somehow preferring FWB P8X.
And here is a whole thread dedicated to it.
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63684

Morini, Pardini, Steyr, MG2 , Benelli Kite, all of them are great.
But I really doubt if serious Engineering was done for Morini and Steyr in years.
But then again - if their guns keeps on winning medals - why change status quo?

Walther & FWB desperately needs some medals in international arena.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

spektr wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:45 am Asking this question is no different than asking which supermodel would you want to marry..... Its all about your individual perceptions and how you get along. And with that being said, Ill leave it to you to explore them yourself because like supermodels there really isn't a bad choice out there........
Perhaps every supermodel is a bad choice?
I mean.. come to think about it.... the cost of acquisition itself will make me bankrupt.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Chasing supermodels is WAY more expensive than shooting. Ask your wife...
william

Post by william »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:43 pm Chasing supermodels is WAY more expensive than shooting. Ask your wife...
And the landing even more so than the chasing.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Out of curiosity, is there any stats available on who us using what in high level competitions?
David M

Post by David M »

Any of the top pistols will do the job.
I would be looking at who is the local dealer that knows Airpistols
with good parts and gunsmith support.
Then see what brands they have on offer.
Check your local club and see what is being shot.
If possible try the different pistols for fit and feel.
Then buy the best you can afford to buy, knowing that you will
be shooting it for 10 yrs or more.
william

Post by william »

UnGe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:03 pm Out of curiosity, is there any stats available on who us using what in high level competitions?
Is it really only "curiosity"? Or is there something else swirling around your head?

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what are the most popular brands of coffee they drink? What's their preferred beer? Those are of equally little value in the selection process.
6string

Post by 6string »

Is it possible that top level shooters have access to individual attention and service from the makers that generally isn't available otherwise?
Maybe choices are being made because of these individual relationships?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

6string wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:34 pm Is it possible that top level shooters have access to individual attention and service from the makers that generally isn't available otherwise?
Some manufacturers will provide equipment to top level shooters to try to crank up their product's medal count. Someone posted on another thread that Pardini has done this.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/20 ... 22082.html
6string

Post by 6string »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 pm
6string wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:34 pm Is it possible that top level shooters have access to individual attention and service from the makers that generally isn't available otherwise?
Some manufacturers will provide equipment to top level shooters to try to crank up their product's medal count. Someone posted on another thread that Pardini has done this.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/20 ... 22082.html

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to imply anything salacious.
I used to talk to Rudy Marent quite a lot. He was the former head gunsmith for Hämmerli in the gool old Lenzberg days. He knew all the top shooters of the day personally. Yet, Hämmerli did their best to provide excellent service to all their customers. I consider him a friend.
These days, It's nice to know that our host is only a phone call away.
My suggestion to the OP is to forget about name brands in specific, and talk to the dealers from whom he may be considering making a purchase.
It will quickly become apparent who cares and knows what they're talking about, vs who's only in it for the sale.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 pm Some manufacturers will provide equipment to top level shooters to try to crank up their product's medal count. Someone posted on another thread that Pardini has done this.
Manufacturers have been doing this for 40 years that I know of.

At the same time, no top shooter will jeopardise their career by shooting a rubbish gun.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

william wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:39 pm
UnGe wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:03 pm Out of curiosity, is there any stats available on who us using what in high level competitions?
Is it really only "curiosity"? Or is there something else swirling around your head?

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what are the most popular brands of coffee they drink? What's their preferred beer? Those are of equally little value in the selection process.
You have pretty unique way of rubbing people in the wrong direction :) BTW, do you by ant chance work for Microsoft [(c) famous joke]?

Yes, pure curiosity. I am also very interested in what beer do people prefer, but I'll stick to ones I like the most myself. Though, if I see in the list something that is close enough, I'd probably try.
william

Post by william »

Is it the joke about the pilot whose nav gear fails while he's flying over Microsoft headquarters?

Although unrelated to beer or coffee, I really believe that knowing what any other shooter uses - gun, ammunition, clothing, shoes, etc. is a distraction. Especially if you're having a bad round, it will creep into your head at a clumsy moment that some World Cup medalist shoots a Morini, or a national champion somewhere a Steyr. I don't want to be aware of what the guy shooting next to me has.

As to rubbing the wrong way, cats like it. That's good enough for me.
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

If I were an Olympic level shooter, I would choose a Steyr purely because of it's history and reputation. If a club level or thereabouts, I would be more flexible because of availability and cost and would expand my choices such as Steyr, Morini, FWB or maybe some others. Don't forget, it's the indian not the arrow.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

william wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:01 pm Is it the joke about the pilot whose nav gear fails while he's flying over Microsoft headquarters?

Although unrelated to beer or coffee, I really believe that knowing what any other shooter uses - gun, ammunition, clothing, shoes, etc. is a distraction. Especially if you're having a bad round, it will creep into your head at a clumsy moment that some World Cup medalist shoots a Morini, or a national champion somewhere a Steyr. I don't want to be aware of what the guy shooting next to me has.

As to rubbing the wrong way, cats like it. That's good enough for me.
I think William is a totally acquired taste. If one can not acquire it, it is ones loss.