Darius Young - Obituary

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

fc60

Darius Young - Obituary

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I have learned that Doc Young passed away on June 23, 2021 at the age of 83.

I was fortunate to have known him.

We shot in several local matches and Doc encouraged me to pursue the 32 WadCutter as a target gun.

I shall miss him.

With kind regards,

Dave
David Levene

Re: Darius Young - Obituary

Post by David Levene »

That is sad news.

I shot against him several times in the '80s.

My condolences from this side of the Atlantic
mister G

Post by mister G »

Gotta dig into my photo archives from back in 1984 at the Olympic Trials just east of Los Angeles. Somewhere I have a pic of Doc Young, Don Nygord and one other (3rd place?) on the winners stand for Free Pistol. Looks like Doc is two feet taller than Don, but that had no effect on the scores.
If I remember, there was a kerfuffle behind the scenes when there were accusations that Doc was or had consumed alcohol before the finals and therefore should have been disqualified from the event. Cooler heads prevailed because the Rules Committee found that alcohol was NOT in the list of banned substances. Sore-heads = Poor Losers!
Can anyone fill in the spaces? I'll post some pics if and when I find 'em.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

I don't know about LA, but I was at a finals at Ft. Benning where that happened. Can't recall the year, but I think it was an Air Pistol final, as I recall it being at the Airgun building. May have been a National Championship.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"Rules Committee found that alcohol was NOT in the list of banned substances. Sore-heads = Poor Losers!"

Man, Sweet William is heaving a sigh of relief! So is his distiller.

I remember being on the line at Camp Perry ('86/'87?) when the MPs took the National Police Champion off the line in
handcuffs for being drunk. I think Darius was there.
william

Post by william »

I was just taking my first competitive shots (with a pistol, Rog, not a small glass) in 1984. I never got to meet more than a couple of the greats of that era, my great loss. Maybe it was just his size - I saw him at Larry Carter's shop in a team photo and he stood like a colossus over his teammates - I always considered him the titan among titans. So long, Doc!
mister G

Post by mister G »

I've found a pic from the LA Games, but I have a problem getting it to post, so I need some help.

The file is .png but will NOT attach to my "REPLY" or "Attachments" link. BUT, I CAN send it as an email attachments. If someone can give me , private or open, an email addy, I'll try to send it along.