Scatt Basic thoughts

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brazos

Scatt Basic thoughts

Post by Brazos »

I have searched for reviews on the Scatt Basic and there isn’t much. Here is my situation and am asking your thoughts. My daughter shoots on her HS rifle team. She gets plenty of practice with her precision rifle at school during the week. I have ordered her a KK500 to get her on the smallbore path which has to be done outside of her HS program. Due to ammo shortages, cost of ammo, etc. I thought maybe getting a Scatt Basic would be a good idea. She could at least do dry fire practice at home with her smallbore rifle. Obviously any data gained from the Scatt software would be a plus, So would a Scatt Basic be a good investment for a high school kid to use for 10M and samllbore practice or a waste of money?
AManWearingAHat

Re: Scatt Basic thoughts

Post by AManWearingAHat »

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're just trying to keep the trigger time up and keep her shooting, having a 10m air gun range at home and practicing 3 position air gun would be a good and inexpensive supplement to live fire small bore if she wants to go that route. That is if she owns her air rifle and it isn't a club gun. This is my opinion, I know if I have to pick between my air rifle and snapping with a SCATT (I do not own a SCATT system, I am speaking from my experience with dry fire practice), Ill punch holes in paper every time. It's just more fun. Since I purchased an air rifle suitable for 3P, my trigger time has gone way way up versus when I would just dry fire my small bore rifle. Let's be honest, dry fire can get really boring. Added bonus, helping your daughter to enjoy the sport and have fun will help her stay engaged long term!

If you are trying to diagnose and fix problems though, the SCATT is an incredibly valuable tool in the data that it can provide you. Just one shooters opinion!
stephen_maly

Re: Scatt Basic thoughts

Post by stephen_maly »

You can live fire using a SCATT also, just take care not to hit the frame. There is also a frame for use at 50 m, but it sounds like you want to use the SCATT to practice dry-fire with. The SCATT gives you feedback about your aim, stability, let-off, etc., which live fire alone cannot. You can record the period before let-off, and the period after let-off (amount of recoding time is adjustable).